Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How strong are re-tapped threads??
eznfrank

posted on 3/10/08 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
How strong are re-tapped threads??

The missus had a flat tyre whilst I was away with work and pulled into the nearest garage where some helpful chap offered to stick the spare on for her. However, I think he was a little over enthusiatic with the airgun and has stripped the thread in the hub.

Ok, so the question, will I be ok to re-tap this hole or is a re-tapped hole not really strong enough for wheel nuts?

loggyboy

posted on 3/10/08 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
I wouldnt risk it if the threads completely stripped (not just slightly cross threaded) then the only way to re-thread it properly would be to redrill it to a larger diameter and have alarger thread and bolt (not really feasable!
Id get a new hub if its that bad.

If its just cross threaded then re tap the thread and should be no problems.

Mistral Motorsport

l0rd

posted on 3/10/08 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
What car is it? Wouldn't it be better to get another hub from scrappies?
Mr Whippy

posted on 3/10/08 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
I'd go for a replacement hub, second hand it would be very cheap (far less than any engineering work) and fitted with a couple of new bearings will be as good as new

[Edited on 3/10/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
eznfrank

posted on 3/10/08 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
It's on a Fiat Cinquecento I bought to run around in while I was repairing 16 bent valves in my Alfa 147. I only paid £350 for it but decided to keep it cos even with the insurance and tax I was still saving over £100 a month in juice on the grotty comute to work. However, in the last 4 weeks or so it's needed a new TDC sensor, new tyre, rear drum, and exhaust centre section. I got it from the auction so didn't get to give it a proper once over although it did have 11 months test.

I guess I could have a look at the scrappies. Might have a proper look at the hole first though, it's a bit odd, the nut tightens and then gets to a certain point and just spins. It won't just pull out though.

[Edited on 3/10/08 by eznfrank]

02GF74

posted on 3/10/08 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
not really - there won't be any metal left to take the thread as it has been stripped.

think about what could happen if the wheel pops off when diving?

if you do decide to bodge, then ensure your and/or your wifes life insurance is up to date.

Mr Whippy

posted on 3/10/08 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
I had one of those, horrible little buzz box that I took such a dislike too I crushed the little bugger flat with my digger

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
basicaudio

posted on 3/10/08 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Why aren't the garage paying for it to be repaired?
mookaloid

posted on 3/10/08 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
I had one of those, horrible little buzz box that I took such a dislike too I crushed the little bugger flat with my digger

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

tegwin

posted on 3/10/08 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Why not get a recoil thread insert thing?...

Those are usually stronger than the parent metal..

Or have an insert made?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Hellfire

posted on 3/10/08 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Get the wheel off first and find out what needs fixing. It might just need a replacement wheel bolt.

Phil

britishtrident

posted on 3/10/08 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Get the wheel off first and find out what needs fixing. It might just need a replacement wheel bolt.

Phil

sounds sensible --- unless the thread is gone --try a new bolt and a clean out with a tap

eznfrank

posted on 3/10/08 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, should have added, I tried a new bolt and it's definitely the hub nit the bolt.

And as above, completely agree with the buzz box thing but only using it for the commute where I rarely get above 40mph and it saves me £100 a month.

martin1973

posted on 3/10/08 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
coming accross the same problem before i have welded the hole then drilled and retapped.

not really to much of a worry the are after all 3 other bolts holding the wheel.

i know lots of peps are going to say this is just wrong but never had a problem myself.

martin

chasmon

posted on 3/10/08 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
you could drill it out and helicoil it... A helicoil set will cost about a tenner though...
loggyboy

posted on 3/10/08 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
For all the hassle of redrilling and tapping its probly a £10 hub from a scrappy.

Mistral Motorsport

BenB

posted on 3/10/08 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
For all the hassle of redrilling and tapping its probly a £10 hub from a scrappy.

£10 for the hub
Hours wasted trying to get the old hub off with Fiats best corroded nuts refusing to budge = priceless

rusty nuts

posted on 3/10/08 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
And if its the front hub a new bearing as well. You just know its not going to come off without a fight. IIRC the bolt may be 12mm x 1.25?
MikeRJ

posted on 4/10/08 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

They are fab little cars, just like a mini but with a decent(ish) gearbox and modern engine.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.