Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wanted advice on Linux operating system please
locoR1

posted on 29/10/08 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Wanted advice on Linux operating system please

I know nothing about Linux apart from being very impressed with the wife's Acer Aspire One laptop with Linux Lite operating system its so simple to use!

I have an old PC I plan to use in the garage and would really like to load a similar Linux operating system on that, it has a wireless card so just Internet playing music and simple stuff required what is available (ideally for free) and where do I find it?

Any advice gratefully received

Cheers Dave....

Description
Description
Check out my CB500T Cafe Racer build diary

rodders

posted on 29/10/08 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Dave

I have been using Linux for a few years now and have tried a couple of distros and found the best one, in my opinion, to use is Ubuntu www.ubuntu.com

This distro is known as Linux for mere mortals.

You can download a file (for free) from the site and put it on a CD that will allow you to try it on your computer without having to install it. If you do have any problems you can ask on the Ubuntu forums and the guys on there are very knowledgeable and helpful.

Check out the site and most of your questions should be answered.

Cheers

Rhod

AndyGT

posted on 29/10/08 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, thumbs up for Ubuntu here!! Been using it for three years as can be installed on almost anything.

If its a very old laptop/PC then try an earlier version as the later versions are becoming more and CPU/RAM hungry.

Have had an amd 266MHz 64 RAM laptop running version 6.10. Need any advice, then don't hesitate to U2U me.

btw, Amorak is probably the best media player and of course with all linux distributions it is free to download but the makers would like a small contribution if you decide to use it on a regular basis.

Good luck!

nothing is impossible
everything is possible

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locoR1

posted on 29/10/08 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply's its old but was a high spec machine in its time if I remember right 900Mhz with probably around 1 Gb of RAM so should be ok.

Ubuntu 8.04 is downloading now

Dave.............

Description
Description
Check out my CB500T Cafe Racer build diary

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.