Board logo

Christmas (workshop) capers!
adithorp - 22/12/14 at 10:58 AM

So who's going to work on thier car over christmas and what have you got planned.

If the bits turn up I'm changing brake master cylinder sizes now RD do a 1/2" bore so it'll be F0.5" and rear 0.625" instead of 0.625+0.7" Hopefully it'll give me a bit more feel in exchange for a bit more travel.

Also thinking of putting the softer spings back on the rear that I took off in summer. Always used to bottom out when loaded up, so I went 20lb heavier while repairing the uprights. The new (shorter) shocks should have sorted the bottoming anyway. It didn't feel as good with these when on the limit; Too tail happy especially in the wet. Thats what you get when you change too much at once I guess. When my uprights cracked, I changed them, plus the shocks, springs and poly-bushed at the same time.

Then I want to play about checking the bump steer (and other geometry) while I won't be interupted by pesky customers.

[Edited on 22/12/14 by adithorp]

SPYDER - 22/12/14 at 11:26 AM

I'm planning on fitting the newly modified/painted rocker cover and possibly making a start on a new ally bonnet.
Plus some more fine tuning to the fuel table for my new throttle bodies.
Geoff

theprisioner - 22/12/14 at 11:39 AM

" If the bits turn up I'm changing brake master cylinder sizes now RD do a 1/2" bore so it'll be F0.5" and rear 0.625" instead of 0.625+0.7" Hopefully it'll give me a bit more feel in exchange for a bit more travel."

I did exactly this and it was a success, great mod see:

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/brake-bite.html

Also reducing weight in Westfield Busa, new CF bonnet and Lithium battery if it ever arrives.

[Edited on 22/12/14 by theprisioner]

adithorp - 22/12/14 at 11:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by theprisioner
" If the bits turn up I'm changing brake master cylinder sizes now RD do a 1/2" bore so it'll be F0.5" and rear 0.625" instead of 0.625+0.7" Hopefully it'll give me a bit more feel in exchange for a bit more travel."

I did exactly this and it was a success, great mod see:

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/brake-bite.html

[Edited on 22/12/14 by theprisioner]

Good to know someone has already tried it. Only fly in the ointment will be getting the balance bar setup again. Maybe I should sort an adjuster knob on it while I'm at it to save messing about in the pedal box.

minitici - 22/12/14 at 12:06 PM

I'm going to be re-building the front axle of my Series 2a Land Rover.
Got the new spheres, seals, brakes etc.

rick1962uk - 22/12/14 at 12:49 PM

i got a 2 week pass so im hoping to get it up and running plum in the brakes and get most of the fiberglasing don already made the roll cage pluss a day on the lathe to make all the spacers for brakes etc

jeffw - 22/12/14 at 01:06 PM

The 1/2" MC was something I was musing over as well.

chesney321 - 22/12/14 at 01:28 PM

I will be putting front and rear lights on exhaust and messing around with the electrics getting it ready for iva next year

big-vee-twin - 22/12/14 at 03:19 PM

IVA prep for springtime.

Modifying the bais bar so it can be lock wired.

Aligning steering/ toe.

Just spent last couple of weekends balancing throttle bodies and linkages to get nice tickover.

Hellfire - 22/12/14 at 03:27 PM

Fitting a newer (2006) ZX12R engine to the Indy, replacing the 2003 engine which holed a piston.....

Phil

mark chandler - 22/12/14 at 04:03 PM

Replacing a bent tube on mine, reboarding my trailer if the weather holds as the old ply has delaminated.

beaver34 - 22/12/14 at 04:19 PM

new switches for headlights fuel pumps etc....

davidimurray - 22/12/14 at 04:43 PM

I will be carrying on with my engine swap.

Regular photo updates here - Duratec Engine Swap

And less regular updates here - http://locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/14/viewthread.php?tid=192871

Ben_Copeland - 22/12/14 at 05:13 PM

Change the diff in mine from 3.9 LSD to a 3.6 LSD. Should improve top speed and cruising revs a bit

raptor700 - 22/12/14 at 05:31 PM

Fitted the sbd dry sump to the busa , need the right size prop adaptor and the engine can go in next , need to see if I can get it done for spring !!!! Mm mm will see!

black fingernail - 22/12/14 at 07:32 PM

I'll be changing the water pump on swimbo's MX5. then finding out why my golf is throwing power steering fluid out of the reservoir, then bleeding the little car's brakes. is'nt this supposed to be a holiday.

joneh - 22/12/14 at 07:36 PM

I'll be taking the rear axel off and dropping the fuel tank on the fury I bought. The axel bolts need replacing with high tensile bolts of the correct size and I can't find any wiring for a fuel sender, so not convinced it has on. So might be fitting one!

(It was a part built 10 year old project so expecting a lot of fettling)

myke pocock - 22/12/14 at 08:45 PM

Continuing to change all the bits from my old trials Skoda Estelle to the fresh shell. Problem is that my Locost is in the garage so all the work has to go on outside. EFFIN rain!!!!!

gallons perminute - 22/12/14 at 09:01 PM

We traditionally used to start a new project on the first of January but my team of helpers are all too old to do this anymore.

Instead it will be a mad rush to get back on schedule after going racing this season. Hoping to finish the hillclimb chassis, start the build of the underfloors and begin making the moulds for the bodywork.

Looking forward to it I just hope the old back is too. If not it is the comfy chair, slippers and the TV.

AdrianH - 22/12/14 at 09:04 PM

If I can get the bits making a copy style Pantograph.

Adrian

bart - 22/12/14 at 09:49 PM

i'm going to try and get in the garage xmas day , but it might be the straw that broke the camel's back.
will have to see how the land lies with the wife , this will have to be handled very delicately .!!
im hoping if I make a big enough xmas dinner she will fall asleep . if I don't then its out we go ! if she wakes up then I have an excuse " you was asleep love so I was bored "

ceebmoj - 22/12/14 at 11:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
The 1/2" MC was something I was musing over as well.

how do you decide what size you use?

olimarler - 23/12/14 at 07:32 AM

Def gonna be working over Xmas

Speedo calibration as I've lost the magnets

Sort out gear indicator

Geo set up of suspension

Drive it as much as possible

Have s good Christmas every one

Oli

DIY Si - 23/12/14 at 09:48 PM

If I get the time out to play that I'm expecting (and I doubt I will), I'd like to get to the point of mocking up one side of my Sprite's new suspension. I'm nearly done with the lower pivot points, just need to decide on the final position of the top pivots and then get on with making them fit.

Mr Whippy - 24/12/14 at 07:37 AM

seeing that all of my presents are for my landy I was going to be very busy, however a new baby is threatening to arrive early and interrupt my garage time...

missus is now in the hospital and I'm being subjected to 24/7 mister tumble and Justin's house by our wee one ahhhh!! my brain cells are dying....

[Edited on 24/12/14 by Mr Whippy]

kj - 24/12/14 at 07:37 PM

New stone guards to fit, last ones melted. Sort out the gear change indictor, paint and drive weather permitting

coozer - 24/12/14 at 08:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by minitici
I'm going to be re-building the front axle of my Series 2a Land Rover.
Got the new spheres, seals, brakes etc.

Did the bits cost much mate, I've a feeling the spheres are toonfar pitted on mine....

coozer - 24/12/14 at 08:08 PM

Might have a look at making two front shock mounts for my 6x6 trials truck...

welderman - 25/12/14 at 12:55 PM

Well I only went and bought back my Fury.at the weekend, Christmas present to me
Needs work doing on it. So will see if I can get Owt done on it.
Happy Christmas to you all.

Stot - 26/12/14 at 06:55 AM

I changed my clutch and flywheel then had jacket potato for dinner.

Classic Christmas Day...

Cheers
Stot

Alfa145 - 29/12/14 at 12:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
So who's going to work on thier car over christmas and what have you got planned.

If the bits turn up I'm changing brake master cylinder sizes now RD do a 1/2" bore so it'll be F0.5" and rear 0.625" instead of 0.625+0.7" Hopefully it'll give me a bit more feel in exchange for a bit more travel.

Tempted by this myself as I have very little travel in the pedal and next to no feel....I guess it will give a bit more travel and better feel?

But how do I go about setting up my bias bar again as I bought the car already built and registered so never had to set it in the first place?

The Black Flash - 2/1/15 at 01:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Stot
I changed my clutch and flywheel then had jacket potato for dinner.

Classic Christmas Day...

Cheers
Stot

Better than sitting around being bored! Mind you, clutch change is not a job I ever really want to do again. Good skills doing that in a day.

quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
Change the diff in mine from 3.9 LSD to a 3.6 LSD. Should improve top speed and cruising revs a bit

Likewise, I'm going from a 3.62 LSD to 3.14 LSD. Here's hoping it swaps out without dismantling too many major assemblies! Also got a loose connection behind the dash to sort out, change the fuel gauge, swap the scuttle mounted rear view mirror for a windscreen mount, and disappointingly, an LED sidelight and indicator both need replacing.