Board logo

MSA national B license
R1 STRIKER - 5/9/12 at 06:31 PM

Hi all,

Not sure this is the right place to ask but how easy is it to renew a national B license that has lapsed for a few years? I had a national B license in 2008 but haven't raced or renewed it since. Would I have to retake ARDS? I assume new medical would be needed.

Thanks

Ben.

novacaine - 5/9/12 at 06:44 PM

depends on how old you are,

i have renewed my nat B after lapsing for a year and they didnt bat an eyelid, sent them my payment and my licence came in the post shortly after

Johneturbo - 5/9/12 at 06:57 PM

Afaik if its lapsed more than 2 years you would need to retake the written test only ie the flags as mine ran out a few years ago and I looked into renewing but never got round to it!

R1 STRIKER - 5/9/12 at 07:04 PM

I'm 33 if that makes a difference?!

I knew I should of kept it going! Not planning to race straight away but would like to get it it back for when and if I do.

novacaine - 5/9/12 at 07:07 PM

yea, I think you should be fine, IIRC over 45 you need a current ECG

I think best thing to do would be to try to renew your licence online (i think you can do it, might have imagined that though)

i am the same, i have had my national B since 2008 and havent got round to using it but i keep paying the renewal fees just so i have it for when i do get round to racing

JacksAvon - 6/9/12 at 12:09 AM

You dont need a ECG for a National B or a National A over 45 years.

ECG's both resting and stress types do not applly until you move up to applying for International Licence.

Johneturbo - 6/9/12 at 07:04 AM

Is the ECG to make sure you can take the shock of the entry fee!

motorcycle_mayhem - 6/9/12 at 07:27 AM

As has been said, no ECG. Your GP will simply take your BP, check the list of (whatever) is relevant at the time and sign it.
If you're (as I am) 'gifted' with alarming myopia, then you'll need an optician to verify that your corrected and peripheral vision is acceptable. There's a cost implication here.

JacksAvon - 6/9/12 at 11:06 PM

correct vision (the wearing of glasses) can be assessed by your GP during your licence medical.

Prices vary from practice to practice £75 to £175

Duncan36 - 20/9/12 at 08:16 PM

I rang the MSA the other day for this exact reason. If its been over 3 years you have to take the written test again. Between 3 & 9 you have to prove that you finished 6 or more races and take the written test again. Anything outside those and it's back to doing the ARDS test again. I went back to karting and didn't keep up my national b, it expired in 2003 and I now need to do my ARDS again

Duncan