Board logo

my photos
graememk - 29/12/10 at 11:46 PM

ok whats happened to my photo archive ?

Ben_Copeland - 30/12/10 at 12:01 AM

Mine too....

Chris must be Playing "again"

ChrisW - 30/12/10 at 12:34 AM

Yes, I am! What's the problem - they work for me!

Chris

graememk - 30/12/10 at 12:37 AM

nothing wrong and its working fine,im just a guy and i dont like change lol

i'm very grumpy today

Fozzie - 30/12/10 at 12:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by graememk.......i'm very grumpy today

I don't think we would ever have guessed....

It's a change that a lot of peeps had been asking for for ages.....that is,
a 'thumbnail type' preview, instead of having to click on just the file names/description
to see what the photo is, which is very time consuming.......
So this is a change that is good.....

Anyway you cannot be grumpy........we already have a mistergrumpy ...
there cannot be two ...

Fozzie

ChrisW - 30/12/10 at 01:12 AM

Also auto-resizing of images so they all appear the same size in the gallery. Tomorrow I'll add the ability to change the default size.

I've also added watermarking code, with detection of whether the image is being loaded from an external site. If you frequent other forums, look out for the LocostBuilders logo appearing on images!

Chris

DRC INDY 7 - 30/12/10 at 01:49 AM

un able to see the picture just the red x again for me

blakep82 - 30/12/10 at 01:53 AM

wasn't working for me, now it is an awesome change maybe they could do with being a bit bigger, but good work

edit: however....
when we clicked the photo archive button under the main logo, it went to a list of everyones archive which was good, but now it goes straight to mine, which means if i want to find something in someone elses, it involves a lot more searching for user names, finding a post of theirs, then clicking photo archive on their post (i think. don't know if theres an easier way) could do with keeping that link a general access to the archives

[Edited on 30/12/10 by blakep82]

speedyxjs - 30/12/10 at 07:11 AM

I like that! Much better for if you are looking for specific pictures and the uploader hasn't put in a very good description

ashg - 30/12/10 at 07:38 AM

Much better well done Chris. Like the water mark idea on external sites as it brings more punters in

McLannahan - 30/12/10 at 09:11 AM

An excellent addition - thumbnails! Huzzahh!

Chris - A quick U2 sent ref a small bug that needs looking at

Michael

omega0684 - 30/12/10 at 09:50 AM

Just a thought . . . . .

is it possible we could get a "next" and "previous" arrows/buttons put in so that we don't have to keep returning to the main archive schreen to pick the next image?

jacko - 30/12/10 at 09:58 AM

Hi Chris how do you get to other ppl's archives ?
i use to just click on the photo archive at the top of the page but the name page has gone and my photos are there
Graham[ Jacko ]

bob - 30/12/10 at 10:11 AM

I was wondering this to, but its actually easier now as all i have to do is click the posters photo archive and i'm in. Saves all that scrolling down looking for the members archive, and if i cant find a post i just search in name only.

Nice update chris.

ChrisW - 30/12/10 at 11:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jacko
i use to just click on the photo archive at the top of the page but the name page has gone and my photos are there

Click 'member list', scroll to the bottom and you can search for the member you're looking for. Then click their username, and at the bottom is a photo archive link. Much quicker than looking through the huge list that was there before, I think?

quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
is it possible we could get a "next" and "previous" arrows/buttons put in so that we don't have to keep returning to the main archive schreen to pick the next image?

That's on my 'to do' list, along with the ability to select sizes, and some improvements to the way images are handled when img tags are used.

Chris

Bluemoon - 30/12/10 at 11:38 AM

Nice... Much better, good work Chris..

jacko - 30/12/10 at 11:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
quote:

Click 'member list', scroll to the bottom and you can search for the member you're looking for. Then click their username, and at the bottom is a photo archive link. Much quicker than looking through the huge list that was there before, I think?

Chris

Yes i see that but if you / i don't know exactly how their name is spelt it is a bit of a pain
other then that it is a lot lot better
thanks for all the hard work you do
Have a very good new year Graham

madrallysport - 30/12/10 at 11:39 AM

Brilliant change Chris, thats just what the photo section needed

blakep82 - 30/12/10 at 12:45 PM

quote:
quote:

i went to the archive link, pressed ctrl F and typed the neme, WAY quicker than going through member lists

[Edited on 30/12/10 by blakep82]

ChrisW - 30/12/10 at 03:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
i went to the archive link, pressed ctrl F and typed the neme, WAY quicker than going through member lists

I've moved the search function to the top of the page, and added a direct link from the member list to the photo archive. Surely you're happy now???

Chris

avagolen - 30/12/10 at 03:52 PM

Well done Chris, I really like the enhancement to the photo's.

blakep82 - 30/12/10 at 04:20 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82

I've moved the search function to the top of the page, and added a direct link from the member list to the photo archive. Surely you're happy now???

Chris

yeah, i guess.....

actually yeah it is really good

eddie99 - 30/12/10 at 05:18 PM

Looks great, Good change

graememk - 30/12/10 at 05:46 PM

you can now view the photos even if your not logged in, does that mean none members can see our photos ?

ChrisW - 30/12/10 at 05:49 PM

Yes, that was my intention. Is that a problem?

Chris

blakep82 - 30/12/10 at 05:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by graememk
you can now view the photos even if your not logged in, does that mean none members can see our photos ?

hasn't that always been the case?

RichardK - 30/12/10 at 09:30 PM

quote:
Also auto-resizing of images so they all appear the same size in the gallery. Tomorrow I'll add the ability to change the default size.

I've also added watermarking code, with detection of whether the image is being loaded from an external site. If you frequent other forums, look out for the LocostBuilders logo appearing on images!

Chris

There was me trying to make life easier for myself having one image to maintain, oh well have to go and upload them individually now Not quite sure I understand the rational behind that one, wouldn't mind if it was a digital watermark! Not one that blocks half of my pride and joy when displayed on my banner.

However I do like the new album stylee so I'll go easy on you

R

ChrisW - 31/12/10 at 12:08 AM

I'll probably change it after a few weeks, so don't worry too much. Probably make the watermark smaller.

Actually, I might make it so only images above a certain size get watermarked.

It's the people that hotlink to LB that annoy me. Costs me bandwidth and server power, yet I see nothing in return!

Chris

Mix - 31/12/10 at 03:24 AM

Hi

In my opinion this change has really enhanced the site - thanks Chris.

Probably a stupid question with an obvious answer, but what do the red asterisks signify?

Regards Mick

McLannahan - 31/12/10 at 09:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mix
Hi

In my opinion this change has really enhanced the site - thanks Chris.

Probably a stupid question with an obvious answer, but what do the red asterisks signify?

Regards Mick

Unread/unviewed item like in email?

ChrisW - 31/12/10 at 10:41 AM

I've written a system that builds the resized images on the fly and caches them. We've got nearly 100,000 of them on the site, so it would have been a lengthy process to go through them all and convert them into 6 different sizes and would have tied up server resources whilst it was going on.

I could have downloaded them, resized, and uploaded, but the base directory is 15GB and whilst that's not too bad to download I'd be making 6 copies of each file which would be a lot of data to upload again.

So, the site waits until an image is requested, checks whether it's already been processed (ie if someone else has already requested it) and, if it hasn't, does the resize there and then. The * signifies that the image was generated during that page load. If you refresh it should go away, indicating that the image was loaded from the cache.

It's a debug feature really. I'll turn it off in a few days once I'm confident all the bugs have been ironed out.

Cheers, Chris

John Bonnett - 1/1/11 at 03:47 PM

Chris, I'd just like to add my thanks for all the hard and largely unseen work that you and the team put in to make this the very best of all the Forums (or is it Fora?) that I have come across. Great stuff and much appreciated.

Happy New Year

John

David Jenkins - 1/1/11 at 04:12 PM

I got a bit confused when I looked at my fairly small avatar pictures (<150 x 150 pixels) - they all appeared huge on-screen!

Not a major catastrophe though, as copying the link meant that I ended up with the proper-sized piccie (I used to get the picture location directly from the picture properties)

The whole approach to picture galleries is a lot better though - well done, ChrisW!

[Edited on 1/1/11 by David Jenkins]

Liam - 1/1/11 at 06:19 PM

Great stuff. Is there a way to view them original size though?

[Edited on 1/1/11 by Liam]