Board logo

We are back
roadrunner - 15/3/21 at 10:45 PM

About bloody time.

steve m - 15/3/21 at 10:51 PM

Before it goes down again, i would like to say hi and by to everone i know on here !!

loggyboy - 15/3/21 at 11:01 PM

Any admin online? whats happening?

Mr Whippy - 16/3/21 at 06:55 AM

I thought that was the end... Must be the longest outage yet.

Slater - 16/3/21 at 07:52 AM

I was starting to get worried, very worried!

Glad it's back.

russbost - 16/3/21 at 09:19 AM

Is anyone able to talk to Chris?

After the last outage i did make a post regarding how the site could be ongoing, offering help if required & several others offered to help too.

I did ask then for Chris to make contact with regard to whatever the problems are & if/how help was needed, but haven't heard anything back?

Edited to add I've dropped Chris a PM, will report back if I hear anything

[Edited on 16/3/21 by russbost]

Werner Van Loock - 16/3/21 at 09:31 AM

Anyone in connection to Chris on Facebook or other medium? He obviously doesn't check here.

big_wasa - 16/3/21 at 10:26 AM

I wanted to research something and 90% of the info is on here. and no where else.

christim - 16/3/21 at 10:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
I wanted to research something and 90% of the info is on here. and no where else.

Same....I needed to research your OEM ECU thread Wasa. Just when I've got to the wiring stage and the site isn't available. I've now downloaded the thread so it's to hand just in case

(Also found it on Haynes forum in the end. But Locostbuilders has so much more info and is more active)

coyoteboy - 16/3/21 at 01:08 PM

I've emailed him directly again, no response.

I was planning to offer to take over the forum hosting/ownership and update it if it was no longer his interest, but the recent injection of "server luke" user makes me think he has plans.

Mr Whippy - 16/3/21 at 03:29 PM

server luke? what's that?

Yeah I'd struggle to get this car through the IVA without the resources and support on here.

[Edited on 16/3/21 by Mr Whippy]

coyoteboy - 16/3/21 at 03:48 PM

A while back someone called (IIRC) server luke popped up after a round of server issues, suggesting something was going to happen. Been quiet since then though.

Hard to find this evidence as the search functionality has failed and google can't differentiate between usernames and content without google foo I can't be arsed remembering right now!

Benzine - 16/3/21 at 04:25 PM

https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/misc.php?action=list&staff=view
This luke?

coyoteboy - 17/3/21 at 04:03 AM

Hmm not what I remembered but looks like my memory may be wrong.

40inches - 17/3/21 at 09:07 AM

https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/18/viewthread.php?tid=217373

coyoteboy - 17/3/21 at 02:15 PM

That's the one. Good google-foo.

ChrisW - 17/3/21 at 11:40 PM

The site isn't going anywhere, don't panic! I've kept it alive this long I am not about to let it die now. I just don't check in here regularly at the moment (combination of my business going crazy and not having time to play with cars) so I rely on someone giving me a nudge if it falls over.

Condensed version of the problem is that the server the site runs on is around 10 years old now and showing its age. My intention is to virtualise it as is the current way and run it in my private cloud at Creslow Park, but with the business going through the roof I am currently out of RAM in that cloud and, although I have plenty of CPU power available, all my hypervisors are up to their maximum RAM.

So long and short of it is I need to buy some more hardware and add it to the cluster at which point I can move the site over. It's just finding time to do it that is the issue!

BTW don't email me on my LB address; I've not checked it for years. Also U2U's here are not a great idea as I get so many things just get lost in the noise. Most of the site elders (am I allowed to call you that?) know how to get hold of me and can get a message to me if urgent.

Cheers, Chris

Mr Whippy - 18/3/21 at 07:04 AM

Thanks for the update Chris

russbost - 18/3/21 at 08:08 AM

Many thanks for the update Chris, I'm sure that should put a few minds at rest.

coyoteboy - 18/3/21 at 12:21 PM

I'll be honest (not wanting to be a moaning minny but...) it's not put my mind at rest as it's already dying, people are already going elsewhere and pointing out it's never working. Once that happens you're on a slippery slope with a community.

I hope you can get round to it soon Chris, before it's too late.

James - 18/3/21 at 05:13 PM

Thanks Chris! Appreciate the update.

I have no idea what server RAM costs these days- I've been out of the IT game since 2007 and I've heard things have moved on in IT since then.

However, I wonder has everyone who appreciates the continuation of this site contributed in the last year or so? Could we at least make the site pay for itself so it's not a financial burden on Chris? I contributed about 6mths(?) ago when I came back to the site having drifted away.

Is it time to re-visit the idea of a few more ads? I know no-one likes them but if they at least made the site revenue neutral would that be worth doing?

I love LB and very much wish it to continue. The advice on the car and DIY and friends I've made have made it worth the contribution alone and I'll contribute again if it keeps it alive!

James - 18/3/21 at 05:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
I'll be honest (not wanting to be a moaning minny but...) it's not put my mind at rest as it's already dying, people are already going elsewhere and pointing out it's never working. Once that happens you're on a slippery slope with a community.

I hope you can get round to it soon Chris, before it's too late.

I definitely have seen the growth of a few FB pages about se7ens and the like but FB is a crap forum for this sort of thing.

There's a lot of chassis questions on there that were answered years ago here and I'm always pointing to this site as the place to actually get an answer. I hope others are doing the same.

However, are new members actually able to sign up and ask? I know a while ago it was difficult to get a sign-in but maybe that is resolved now?

Let's all do our best to promote LB and try and get it busy again.

Cheers!
J

David Jenkins - 18/3/21 at 05:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by James
I definitely have seen the growth of a few FB pages about se7ens and the like but FB is a crap forum for this sort of thing.

I have access to a couple of FB forums - and they are rubbish. They seem wonderful at first, but it's near-enough impossible to search back to see something you'd seen quite recently. The same questions also get asked over and over...

In addition, you may see something of interest, but if you go away and then come back - it will have gone into the ether. I know that this is FB's way of working, but it's cr@p.

I access other forums such as RepRap (3d printing) and that seems to be fading - I don't know whether people are going elsewhere, or moving to FB, but it is a shame.

I hope that ChrisW can get this forum working properly, as it's an amazing source of info.

James - 18/3/21 at 06:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins

I access other forums such as RepRap (3d printing) and that seems to be fading - I don't know whether people are going elsewhere, or moving to FB, but it is a shame.

Personally I see more and more people coming off Facebook so I'm not sure it's that. Either just never logging in or actively deleting the account.

Where else can you host a community with longevity? Instagram and Tiktok would hardly seem the places.

This is not the thread for this but are there just not the kids messing with cars now than their were (I read that fewer and fewer are driving now) so are there just fewer people wanting to build a car from that.

Way more fun to sit on your ass and TikTok or watch youtube maybe!

David Jenkins - 18/3/21 at 06:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by James
Way more fun to sit on your ass and TikTok or watch youtube maybe!

So true... sadly...

ChrisW - 24/3/21 at 01:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy

I am sorry you feel that way. Ultimately though this is a free service I have provided to the community for nearly 20 years at considerable cost to myself both financially and in time. If you don't like what I give you for free by all means find another free community like this to join.

SteveWalker - 24/3/21 at 02:05 PM

I don't think that he was decrying your efforts, just that he's worried that the recent problems may have pushed people to other sites, from where they may not necessarily return.

roadrunner - 24/3/21 at 03:52 PM

We all appreciate the hard work you put into the Forum Chris.
I for one would be completely lost without it. It's like loosing my left arm when the site is down.

Regards

Brad

Benzine - 8/4/21 at 07:44 PM

back once again ( for the renegade master)