Board logo

Dont you think a chassis...
speedyxjs - 2/5/09 at 05:00 PM

... looks better in black?

Before

After

God i hate painting Il be please when i have put the second coat on tomorrow and i can get the floor on, yay

blakep82 - 2/5/09 at 05:05 PM

awesomeness might get around to repainting mine one day. have you got a compressor? i was thinking about spraying mine, but connecting the gun to the +ve side of a battery charger, and the chassis to the negative, and the electrostatic charge should attract everything together. hammerite have bought out something like that, but might be a gimmick, i don't know.

whats those curved bars at the back for? the ones from the upper shock mounts? i don't think there's a whole lot of strength in them

speedyxjs - 2/5/09 at 05:07 PM

They are for the fuel tank. I didnt think they were very strong but iv stood on them (100kg ) and they didnt budge.
I painted it by hand. Took me about 4-5 hours so i guess it will be the same tomorrow

blakep82 - 2/5/09 at 05:10 PM

thats alright, wasn't sure if there was any structuralness for them, but thats alright then, looks good

mr henderson - 2/5/09 at 05:42 PM

Bit late now, I realise, but if painting 2 coats I think it is a good idea to use 2 different colours, makes it easy to see which bits you've missed.

mr henderson - 2/5/09 at 05:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
structuralness

I like it. Says what it means. Could be the start of a whole new field of engineering

John

speedyxjs - 2/5/09 at 05:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
Bit late now, I realise, but if painting 2 coats I think it is a good idea to use 2 different colours, makes it easy to see which bits you've missed.

Hmmm, didnt think of that. Il remember next time

iank - 2/5/09 at 06:21 PM

Use a miniroller with a foam gloss roller, much quicker and neater than a brush (still need a brush for the tight angles)

zilspeed - 2/5/09 at 06:22 PM

That's not a chassis.

That's a feckin' bridge !

Larger Engine = Meet Larger Chassis

Nice work

MikeCapon - 2/5/09 at 07:18 PM

Like the curved box section at the rear. Looks really good. How d'ya do that then?

speedyxjs - 2/5/09 at 07:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeCapon
Like the curved box section at the rear. Looks really good. How d'ya do that then?

Cut lots of slits in it about 1cm apart and weld them back together. The hard part is getting the angle right.

kb58 - 2/5/09 at 09:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82 i was thinking about spraying mine, but connecting the gun to the +ve side of a battery charger, and the chassis to the negative, and the electrostatic charge should attract everything together.

That will work but you need more like 5-8,000 volts, really.

BenB - 2/5/09 at 10:01 PM

Yup. Electrostatic is high voltage. Think about the kind of voltage you need to hold a balloon onto the ceiling. Same kind of voltage that will give a nice blue spark across a few mm.... Sure ain't going to work with 12v.... You could rig something up by taking apart an old camera flash unit. I've shocked myself too many times with those bad boys and they sure aren't 12v!!! I seem to recall its 10kV across the xenon and about 5-10 times as much on the trigger... The wierd thing is the 10kV and 50kV feel different. Probably to do with available current. The trigger gives more of a sharp sensation but the voltage across the xenon gives more of a kick...

BenB - 2/5/09 at 10:08 PM

Actually turns out I was talking JZ! Voltage across the xenon is typically 250-500v and the trigger is 5-10kV....

niceperson709 - 2/5/09 at 10:51 PM

I just want to second the suggestion that a roller is the best way to paint a space frame. I did it for my first chassis and I am doing it soon for the chassis that I am working on now.

stevegough - 4/5/09 at 06:00 PM

You've been working hard since the 18th, haven't you?

Remember this?
Derusting chassis

How have you done yours? I was going to use a angrygrinder with wire brush and use sandpaper in the hard to reach places but after starting it, i thought it would probably be quicker to use sandpaper. Its only surface rust so would come off quite easily.
Any thoughts?

Well, I'd be interested to hear how you cleaned it up in the end?