Board logo

Bike shocks
turbo77 - 3/2/11 at 07:11 AM

Hello!
I would like to kenw if someone have some expirience with bike shocks on locost.
Tnx

Davey D - 3/2/11 at 07:20 AM

Do you mean MTB shocks? what do you want to know?

turbo77 - 3/2/11 at 07:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Davey D
Do you mean MTB shocks? what do you want to know?

What I would like to knew if someone used 2 rear mono shocks lets say from cbr 1000 or enything else

kj - 3/2/11 at 07:35 AM

I had some on the front of mine, can't remember what they were off, done the job ok.

turbo77 - 3/2/11 at 07:39 AM

Which bike shocks did you use and if you remember the yare of bike
I have rough time to get lets say spax or avo in slovenija and I have to find the substitit

kj - 3/2/11 at 07:46 AM

I can't remeber the bike or the year they were from sorry.

NigeEss - 3/2/11 at 08:54 AM

Bike monoshocks tend to be very hard as they are not direct acting, the rockers and lever
setup would have to be replicated in some way.
Old style twin shocks are the opposite, too soft.

People have used them but with limited success. Do a quick search for "bike shocks" with the
match exactly option, there's a few posts about it.

turbo77 - 3/2/11 at 09:39 AM

thx

MikeRJ - 3/2/11 at 10:02 AM

This spreadsheet might be useful to get an idea of typical spring rates. Far too stiff for a direct acting suspension on a locost, but if you design in a rising rate linkage they could get the job done. You could change the springs, but then the damping will be out.

v8kid - 3/2/11 at 11:07 AM

Excellent spreadsheet link thanks

Bare - 6/2/11 at 05:47 PM

Be very careful with "bike Shocks" Example the SV 650 shock found in that spreadsheet.. can be bought for very little .. I got a one year old one for $12 !.
Frustratingly it turned out to be Made in China junk. The spring was unuseably stiff at 500+ ft lbs!!, while the 'hydraulics' were utterly incapable of controlling the fitted spring. In testing i found that it Could Not control even a 300 lb spring either.
There IS reason that new bike owners discard (ebay) their worthless motorcycle shocks, while these are still brand new.
It's because they are often (usually?) junk.

[Edited on 6/2/11 by Bare]

MikeRJ - 6/2/11 at 09:44 PM

The standard SV650 shock is pretty crap, that is why that particular spreadsheet exists i.e. to find a useful, higher quality replacement from another bike. It's a completely non-adjustable damper, so really of no use whatsoever for a locost.

The SV's spring rate is not exactly unusual though, pretty much any modern bike with a rising rate monoshock trailing arm will use spring rates that are way to high for a locost with conventional suspension.

As always you need to do plenty of research to prevent spending your money on unsuitable parts.

[Edited on 6/2/11 by MikeRJ]

ZEN - 9/2/11 at 10:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by NigeEss
...the rockers and lever
setup would have to be replicated in some way.

I guess that could be easily solved if the bike shocks are use in a inboard setup.

turbo77 - 11/2/11 at 09:39 AM

tnx all
I thing I will find way to get spax or avo to Slovenija