Board logo

Flat pack kits
w.olly - 5/4/12 at 06:23 PM

Where does a good flat pack kit for the Locost? Thought it would save time and getting a cut off saw to make a chassis.

Cheers

wolly

jossey - 5/4/12 at 07:15 PM

Forum member handyandy did good kits maybe worth looking At. I've seen a few he cut for people and a nice guy too. (roadster)

Or.......

http://www.farouxsportscars.com/company/

These do some crazy laser align technology. http://www.farouxsportscars.com/3d_cad/

It fits together to ensure a good weld angle.

Been in complete kit car mag march 2012

ashg - 5/4/12 at 08:12 PM

Have personally seen a few kits from handyandy and they were all top notch his after sales service is top banana too

tony.g - 5/4/12 at 09:04 PM

What about this one.
haynes roadster FLAT PACK BASIC CHASSIS locost 7 | eBay

Simon - 5/4/12 at 09:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by w.olly
Where does a good flat pack kit for the Locost? Thought it would save time and getting a cut off saw to make a chassis.

Cheers

wolly

Save time - what a hundred or so cuts at 30 secs each, so you save an hour; and a cut-off saw - use a bloody hack saw - you could cut all the steel in the time it'll take you to go and buy a cut-off saw

Saving an hour out of year or three build is a bit pointless

ATB

Simon

gavin174 - 6/4/12 at 07:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by tony.g
What about this one.
haynes roadster FLAT PACK BASIC CHASSIS locost 7 | eBay

One of the members on here had a very early chassis off Phil..
I think it was no.2 very good quality and a nice bloke to deal with.

w.olly - 6/4/12 at 04:49 PM

I am only thinking on getting one realy to see what the cost difference is towards getting my own materials and cut off saw, i like the laser tech frames, very neat.

Well as it is it a whole cheaper to do my own i will be looking for a cut off tool now and start collecting my frame materials, i can get of cuts from places i deliver to aswell

The flat packs are not a bad price though, and all done to a good accuracy.

thanks guys

michael92 - 6/4/12 at 10:07 PM

I have a handyandy kit, by far the greatest bloke ive met too well worth your time and money

MakeEverything - 7/4/12 at 08:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Simon
quote:

Cheers

wolly

Save time - what a hundred or so cuts at 30 secs each, so you save an hour; and a cut-off saw - use a bloody hack saw - you could cut all the steel in the time it'll take you to go and buy a cut-off saw

Saving an hour out of year or three build is a bit pointless

ATB

Simon

So what about the measuring, checking, measuring again, test fitting, wrong cuts etc etc.... All with a hand saw?

Sounds to me like you either don't know how to use hacksaw properly or you haven't really thought it through. And yes, I did start to cut all my own joints, and yes I have also bought a flat pack kit in the past. It takes longer than an hour to do all this for every cut.

mark chandler - 7/4/12 at 08:32 AM

Start with a decent board, draw out accurately and screw blocks down to form the jig then Hacksaw all the way.

With flat packs you still need to lay out correctly, Simon is correct and being able to do it quickly shows he knows how to use a hacksaw correctly!!!

I have a plasma, cutters etc and found it quicker to use a hacksaw, and they are very accurate especially on 1" box or tube.

ATB Mark

handyandy - 7/4/12 at 11:45 AM

Thanks for all the thumbs ups guys, very much appreciated

As has been said , I supply Flat pack kits but must stress that I never "hard sell" to anyone, I find that most of my kit orders come from "word of mouth" from satisfied customers & from comments such as the ones on this thread.

I would always encourage anyone to have a go themselves at cutting the kit & also offer help if they get stuck or have a query etc, its not all about making a "fast buck" for me, I actually enjoy helping folk build their cars .

With regard weighing the cost factors involved I look at this way.........

Buying a bandsaw/ cut off saw is approx £100 ( using machine mart catalogue as reference )
Buying the steel at todays prices is approx £120 ( I buy alot so get it a little cheaper than this ),
So, straight away the cost is approx £220 before you start cutting .

My kits cost £230 for a Sierra donor based kit

A comment was made saying roughly 100 cuts will only take you an hour or so, don,t forget that each kit ( depending on spec has 104 pieces of steel which = 208 ends that need cutting, not even counting the compound mitre cuts, I assure you to cut to the accuracy that is required it takes alot longer than an hour to cut that lot , I generally spend a full day of 9 hrs to cut a Flat pack kit, & said ( without sounding cocky ) I,ve cut alot of kits,
If someone can cut a kit in an hour maybe I should employ that person

Whichever route any builder takes ( flat pack or do it yourself ) , the main thing is to Enjoy that aspect of the build, there is indeed a great sense of satisfaction of cutting it yourself, but if a builder would feel happier to have a pre supplied kit with back up behind them then that route is also available ......at not alot of cost .

Happy building

cheers
andy

w.olly - 7/4/12 at 04:54 PM

Thanks Andy, that was a bob on reply i was after mate, i knew it will take a lot longer than an hour to do the cuts, si in all it costs roughly the same to do as in flat pack and getting a saw and doing it all myself, but i have a good cheap steel supplier and then the cut off saw will come in handy again i guess as i wont be over spending cost wise.
And i need to build up my tools again

Thansk for all the good replys folks

wolly

Simon - 7/4/12 at 05:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything

So what about the measuring, checking, measuring again, test fitting, wrong cuts etc etc.... All with a hand saw?

Sounds to me like you either don't know how to use hacksaw properly or you haven't really thought it through. And yes, I did start to cut all my own joints, and yes I have also bought a flat pack kit in the past. It takes longer than an hour to do all this for every cut.

Er, if you think about it, you only need to measure (twice in your case apparently) approx half the tube, because it's duplicated on the other side. Likewise, if you've measured right, you won't need to test fit, cos strangely enough, it'll fit.

You say you did start to cut all your own joints; what, but didn't finish. I cut all of mine with a hacksaw and turned 47m of shs into a rolling chassis over a weekend. I also made all the bodywork cutting all the glass matting with a pair of scissors, but according to you I probably used them wrong as well.

An hour may be a little on the sarky side, but the idea stands

Cheers Mark

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 7/4/12 by Simon]

handyandy - 9/4/12 at 12:41 PM

quote:
Thanks Andy, that was a bob on reply i was after mate, i knew it will take a lot longer than an hour to do the cuts, si in all it costs roughly the same to do as in flat pack and getting a saw and doing it all myself, but i have a good cheap steel supplier and then the cut off saw will come in handy again i guess as i wont be over spending cost wise.
And i need to build up my tools again

Thansk for all the good replys folks

wolly

Sounds like a good plan

Enjoy your build, feel free to contact me if i can help in any way

cheers
andy

kilshaw - 1/6/15 at 07:23 PM

I know this is an old thread but are you still cutting the packs???

Talon Motorsport - 1/6/15 at 09:21 PM

No, Handy Andy has since disappeared off the face of the Earth or the internet at least...

Every thing you will ever want to buy you can find on ebay.