Board logo

Track rod end info
sonic - 10/7/16 at 07:35 PM

Hi guys

I have an MK Indy built using Sierra Cosworth running gear, I want to change my track rod end as the steering feels a bit notchy, took the track rods off today so I can get 2 new ones.

As most motor factors these days want a reg no to work to so they can identify the right bits that isn't going to help them being registered as am MK etc

So do I just take the old ones along and say they are off a Seirra circa 88 or do I need to ask for something specific ?

Nickp - 10/7/16 at 08:44 PM

Plenty on ebay- Ford Sierra Track/Tie Rod Ends All Models inc Cosworth..Pair

hizzi - 10/7/16 at 09:07 PM

its handy having a reg number from a car the same as your donor for ordering parts, have a look on autotrader etc

britishtrident - 10/7/16 at 10:35 PM

Notch steering feel is a symptom of steering universal joint problems, a track rod end problem would give steering wander and or premature tyre wear.

sonic - 11/7/16 at 05:14 PM

Thanks guys, took the old ones to a motor factors today and have got 2 new ones. the old ends were really stiff and hard to move, the new ones feel totally different.

thanks for your help

britishtrident - 11/7/16 at 05:52 PM

The excessive initial stiffness won't have any appreciable bad effect -- what matters with track rod ends is any free play ie: lost motion.