Board logo

Upright knowledge needed
Lander - 6/6/15 at 05:02 PM

Hi,
Could someone who knows Cortina uprights have a look at these 2 X FORD CORTINA MK3 MK4 MK4 STEERING UPRIGHT KIT CAR..CATRUM.. and see if they would be suitable for my Avon build ?
He says they have been modified.
Let me know what you thing.
Thanks,
Ian

HowardB - 6/6/15 at 05:19 PM

I can't be specific about the details of a their fit or modification, but one of the "pair" looks like an unfinished casting in my opinion,....

hth

ian locostzx9rc2 - 6/6/15 at 05:22 PM

I wouldn't use them looks like the part that you attach the track rod ends have been chopped off and re drilled could have weakened it and could change the geometry.

Lander - 6/6/15 at 05:23 PM

Thanks Howard.
I am really struggling to find a pair and thought I might have a punt on them for the price to see if they work.

Lander - 6/6/15 at 05:25 PM

Thanks Ian.
I think that is the mod that has been done. I may give them a miss then and keep looking.

big_wasa - 6/6/15 at 05:25 PM

As above I would not use them on a road car.

The steering arms have been cut down to increase lock

ali f27 - 6/6/15 at 08:25 PM

Have a look at the alloy ones on rally design we use them and they are spot on might have to save up for them but you wont regret it later

ali f27 - 6/6/15 at 08:28 PM

I think they have been very rusty and blasted

austin man - 6/6/15 at 09:32 PM

Cant you get top and bottom wishbones that use the sierra items

Lander - 8/6/15 at 06:47 PM

There are quite a few changes needed to the Avon chassis if you go down the route of Sierra uprights apparently, I did think that.
I guess I am going to need to keep looking.
Cheers for the responses guys.

locost7-online.com - 23/6/15 at 08:57 PM

I bought a whole cortina front end a few weeks ago from that eBay seller, those one you saw were modified for a RWD Peugeot 206

Did you manage to get some in the end?

Lander - 23/6/15 at 09:00 PM

I pick some up tomorrow afternoon that I found on eBay complete with hubs, discs and calipers just need to see how they all clean up.

locost7-online.com - 23/6/15 at 09:04 PM

I built an electrolysis tank to clean off the rust, worked really well

Lander - 24/6/15 at 08:55 PM

Picked up the uprights today and I think they aren't as bad as some I have seen. How easy is the electrolysis to set up? I do have a rust remover fluid somewhere that I need to dig out, I think it may be hydrochloric acid of a sort ??

Andybarbet - 24/6/15 at 09:29 PM

Out of curiosity, wasn't one of the old hyundai's cortina running gear underneath ?
I think it was the stellar, it might give people another option if cortina hubs are hard to get hold of ? Mind you, old hyundai's are probably harder to find !

locost7-online.com - 24/6/15 at 09:32 PM

Yes I think you are right, but I recon there will be less of them about!

Andybarbet - 24/6/15 at 10:02 PM

I know where there's one in Letchworth :-)