Board logo

Blade rectifier / overcharging problem.
alister667 - 27/6/10 at 10:07 AM

Hi y'all,

Car developed a bad splutter on the way home from taking photos at Croft Hillclimb wouldn't rev above 4k. That was a LONG drive home! Eventually twigged the voltage across the battery was too high (16.5V at tickover rising to 18+ volts at higher revs).

I'm pretty sure this was stopping the ECU getting the correct voltage from the pink wire resistor, cutting the coils.

Obvious rectifier issue, right?

I replaced the rectifier with a unit from ebay, a 954 blade one and spliced it in to do away with dodgy/burnt connectors. 3 yellows -> 3 yellows, 2 greens -> 1 green (earth) and 2 reds -> 1 red (+12V), black wire - NC.

Problem solved?

Nope!

Still spluttering (and frankly if I had a hammer to hand she'd have needed a new bonnet too )!

I checked the O/Ps from the stator coils - none were shorted to earth and all three read similar AC voltages - 30-50 volts depending on revs. I think that's normal-ish.

I tried a different battery and that solved it - but the voltage is still +16-17V across the battery when running and I suspect as it charges (and stops pulling the 12V line down a bit) she'll splutter again, or the battery (now a car unit) will boil.

With the headlights on the voltage drops to +14.5V - I will have them on for my MOT tomorrow - - but I also think running like this all the time would put unnecessary strain on the rectifier.

I've had a look a few other blade cars and none are running anything like that high a voltage.

Any thoughts? The 954 rectifier looked immaculate although it was 2nd hand.

Many thanks
Ali

speedystew - 27/6/10 at 10:16 AM

Hi

is the rectifier getting hot when the engine is running?

if not that would indicate its not working

alister667 - 27/6/10 at 10:26 AM

It is yes, certainly getting warm.
It is outputting a higher voltage than 12V as the battery as rest reads about 13V, once started that is pulled up.

speedystew - 27/6/10 at 10:29 AM

which blade engine is it ?

alister667 - 27/6/10 at 10:31 AM

It's a 99, 919 on carbs.

speedystew - 27/6/10 at 10:38 AM

i would try one of these......

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Honda-CBR-900-Fireblade-92-99-Model-Regulator-Rectifier-/170354771772?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item27a9e f873c

the 954 reg/rec may be different as that engine is fuel injected and has different electrical needs (i don't know for certain)

i had exactly the same fault on an 893 blade i used to sprint (boiled the battery etc) and it was the reg/rec

t16turbotone - 27/6/10 at 11:57 AM

hi, i would be looking towards the regulator rather than the rectifier, or are they combined on this model?

tony

alister667 - 27/6/10 at 12:06 PM

Yes the rectifier is combined with the regulator in one unit. Where I refer to the 'rectifier' read 'rectifier / regulator'.

I'm using the 954 as it was recommended by Andy Bates in a previous thread about rectifiers.

It's a much heavier duty unit. The 919 blade rectifiers have a reputation for going bang, with various symptoms. Just about any bike 3 phase regulator / rectifier will work, as long as it can handle enough current.

Jon Ison - 27/6/10 at 01:09 PM

Where under the bonnet is it fitted ? Is it fitted to a heat sink ?

both these will reflect on how long it lasts.

alister667 - 27/6/10 at 01:23 PM

Both the old & new rectifiers were directly mounded on a large aluminium plate in front of the engine. I also fitted a chip heatsink to the old unit. It lasted about 6 years!
The RR connector showed signs of charring when inspected, the main reason I cut it out.
My worry is more about boiling my battery or causing a fire as a wire burns out due to 16.5 Volts across the battery over a long time.

[Edited on 27/6/10 by alister667]

[Edited on 27/6/10 by alister667]

Jon Ison - 27/6/10 at 01:42 PM

I put my blade ones on a heat sink on the floor in the engine bay in plenty of cool airflow, blades eat rectifiers, about the only downside to them though......

bob - 27/6/10 at 02:23 PM

I was told once the answer to the rectifier problems on blade engines was to change to a honda super dream 250 or 400 rectifier.

Please dismiss this if its just a load of old tosh but seems most of the blade runners i know do this.

alister667 - 27/6/10 at 03:47 PM

Of course it's not tosh!

You're right the superdream rectifier is a heavier duty unit, as is the 954 blade one which I've changed to. But the problem is still present!

16.5V across a battery isn't normal (is it?) and it surely is only a mater of time before the battery goes pop (isn't it?).

speedystew - 27/6/10 at 04:05 PM

the reg/rec i put in the link was the same as i changed to with no more problems

also seen pc fans on top of them,though i never needed to

Andy B - 27/6/10 at 05:00 PM

the black wire needs to be connected to ignition switched live supply, the later blade rectifiers are a bit more inteligent than earlier models and need to see that the power is on to start working, hook it up and it should be fine
regards
Andy

alister667 - 27/6/10 at 05:39 PM

Thanks Andy!

Cheers

Ali

alister667 - 27/6/10 at 05:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by speedystew
the reg/rec i put in the link was the same as i changed to with no more problems

also seen pc fans on top of them,though i never needed to

The problem with mine meant the connector on the loom itself was badly burned and I'd have needed to chop a new connector out of a 'blade loom then solder it in for a simple replacement to work!

Thanks very much everyone for the help, I'll do the necessary tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

alister667 - 28/6/10 at 09:51 AM

Yep, Andy was right, I ran +12V from the coils to the black wire on the rectifier and now the running voltage across the battery is 14-14.5V across the rev range.

Tried her up the road and she's fine, but of course it started raining for the first time in a couple of weeks!

Andy, many thanks again, if you make it over to Kirkistown some time, the ice creams are on me!