Board logo

Is this Halfords coolant ok for GSXR engine?
Sloan85 - 4/5/13 at 01:42 PM

I have bought some antifreeze from Halfords and just wanted to double check it is suitable for a GSXR engine?

The Haynes manual says 50/50 distilled water and corrosion inhibiting ethylene glycol mixture. The antifreeze from Halfords is ethylene glycol, OAT (organic acid technology) type so I think will be suitable but I just wanted to get a second opinion.

Cheers

http://www.h alfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_219480_langId_-1_categoryId_255224

Chaddy - 4/5/13 at 03:45 PM

That is what I have in my R1

motorcycle_mayhem - 4/5/13 at 05:00 PM

You should be OK, but personally I use the ethylene glycol with the silicate inhibitor mix (the blue one). I only use this because I change the coolant with every engine detonation/replacement, so use quite a bit of it, it's cheaper. I like silicates, less agressive, so do Japanese bike manufacturers.

From what I can see, OAT has come to the fore due to it's longevity. No one likes servicing cars, so we have antifreeze inhibitor packages that last a good few years, synthetic oils that never chemically break down and brake fluids that aren't as hygroscopic as they once were. I'm guessing all this, I'm a scientist (chemist), but it seems logical that anti-service is a good thing all round.

Your OAT inhibitor mix is essentially sodium or potassium salts of ethylhexanoic acid, in ethylhexanoic acid (i.e it's a salt buffer if you remember your school chemistry - all that Kh/Ka=Kd stuff). The only things that don't like sitting in ETA will be silicone rubber and some types of 'soft' nylon or natural rubber (ETA isn't just corrosive it's a plasticiser) none of which should be in your cooling system. Therefore, should be all good.

britishtrident - 4/5/13 at 05:16 PM

OAT is more environmentally friendly and lasts for 5 years plus.

If changing coolant just water flush out any old style coolant.