Board logo

LSD or not
rick1962uk - 21/5/13 at 06:07 PM

hi just collecting parts to start the build got the zzr100 engine now i need a diff but how many use a LSD as i have heard that they dont work that well on BEC kit cars or is this just rubbish many thanks rick

mark chandler - 21/5/13 at 06:20 PM

Just rubbish

owelly - 21/5/13 at 07:11 PM

Here's my plastic car fitted with a Sierra LSD. As you can see, it will happily spin one wheel so is not a true limited slip unit but it works great on a nice dry track with sticky tyres.

Custardpants - 22/5/13 at 11:49 AM

I used to run an open diff on track and then upgraded to a quaife ATB LSD. It utterly transformed the ability of the car - drive and traction out of corners was such an improvement, and I could also far better control the car mid corner with the throttle. Perhaps some lsds don't suit BECs but the smooth progressive action of the quaife unit perfectly suits the smooth power delivery of a bike engine, and although expensive is well worth it.

Doctor Derek Doctors - 22/5/13 at 12:05 PM

Sounds like the rubbish spouted by someone who cant afford an LSD.

For the record I have a Quaife ATB in a Freelander casing and its awesome and stable. It did cost £650 used (also came with driveshafts, propshaft, mounts and hubs though) so wasn't cheap.

bigfoot4616 - 22/5/13 at 04:56 PM

my tran-x plate diff is probably the best mod i've done to the car. much quicker round the track and a lot more fun on the road

rick1962uk - 22/5/13 at 08:39 PM

many thanks i will try to get hold of one