Board logo

Gear Indicator
Sanzomat - 19/5/22 at 12:17 PM

Hi All, I expect opinions will vary but just thought I'd gauge what folks think. I used to have one on my R1 bike and thought it was quite useful for things like not bothering trying for 7th when you were already in top. I was thinking of getting one for the R1 Locost. As it only gets used on track days I find I lose count of which gear I'm in so a display might be useful. Then I find there are those that use the rev signal and speedo signal to calculate (following a learning phase) what gear you are in and there are also ones that use magnets on the selector to count how many times the lever has moved. Not sure which would work best. My 4XV R1 engine has a speedo sensor but I've never been able to get the Smiths speedo to recognise its output but maybe the gear indicator can. The speedo is using a VR pulse sensor counting bolts on the drive shaft flange.

There are the ebay chinese ones for a tenner or branded ones for up to £200. I'm thinking more the former as I'm a tightwad!

adithorp - 19/5/22 at 01:09 PM

I went quite a while without one thinking it wasn't important. When I did fit one I wondered why I'd persevered without.

I went for an Accumen, with an R1 plug n play loom. Simple to fit and program and works great. Only slight issue is as it calculates gear from revs and speed, it can get confused when stationary or moving slow in traffic.

Can't comment on the cheap Chinese knock offs.

roadrunner - 19/5/22 at 02:36 PM

I was the same as you, always hunting for 7th gear.
I tried the cheap ones, but they where crap.
Purchased the Healtech one and it works brilliantly.

Sanzomat - 9/6/22 at 09:02 PM

I found a new/old stock Acumen on fleabay and won it. Fitted it today and put the rear up on axle stands so I could run it up through the gears in learning mode. Seems to work fine. Its the one that also has a voltage read out which I'd prefer not to have as too much info displayed really but I can always put some tape over it if its distracting! Too good a deal to miss.

roadrunner - 11/6/22 at 03:28 PM