Board logo

Midlana first test drive
kb58 - 3/12/12 at 11:32 PM

"Mid-engine Seven" using a turbo FWD lump in a Seveneque form. The full website is at www.midlana.com
Midlana test drive

liam.mccaffrey - 4/12/12 at 12:22 AM

great job kurt, I have the kimini book and have been following midlana since the start.
Really enjoyed it

Bare - 4/12/12 at 02:41 AM

damn.. I haven't seen a Wink mirror since 1980.

kb58 - 4/12/12 at 03:22 AM

I've tried all sorts of different ones since buying my first Wink mirror, but nothing beat it.

imp paul - 4/12/12 at 11:06 AM

That looks really good fun very nice mate top job

coyoteboy - 4/12/12 at 01:49 PM

That mirror is epic. Love the suspension/driveline shot too.

nick205 - 4/12/12 at 02:29 PM

Fantastic!

Not seen a "wink" mirror before, but it looks like it works really well.

coyoteboy - 4/12/12 at 07:33 PM

Looks like it's a golf cart mirror from the US.

Gakes - 5/12/12 at 05:50 AM

Nice work! That engine sounds mean with the huge dumper. Sounds like a squirrel mincer

Doug68 - 8/12/12 at 06:48 AM

Hey Kurt, awesome stuff! Congrats at getting there, how much work is there left to do now?

kb58 - 9/12/12 at 05:47 AM

Fine-tuning the fit-up of the nose assembly and various body panels, then prepping them for paint.

b14wrc - 12/12/12 at 12:30 PM

Hi Kurt, what colour are you going to do the car?

I am building something similar (i know i have spoken to you before about it) and have had many ideas since following your excellent work, have you seen my chassis progress? Any pointers or issues you have had / overcome at this early stage?

Looking forward to the book coming out, when do you think it will be available?

Rob

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/2/viewthread.php?tid=176669

kb58 - 12/12/12 at 09:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by b14wrc
Hi Kurt, what colour are you going to do the car?

I am building something similar (i know i have spoken to you before about it) and have had many ideas since following your excellent work, have you seen my chassis progress? Any pointers or issues you have had / overcome at this early stage?

Looking forward to the book coming out, when do you think it will be available?

Rob

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/2/viewthread.php?tid=176669

A very pale green - goes well with the lime green suspension and navy-gray chassis.

Issues... hmmm, not much... though the car's yet to be driven in anger. At the moment the only thing I'd change would be to have added a bottom access hatch below the fuel pump. Maintenance is ALL about accessibility.

The book "should" be out this coming spring, though I've been saying that for more than a year. It'll come out several months after the car has done its first trackday event, and that means fully finishing it, first.

[Edited on 12/14/12 by kb58]

kb58 - 10/3/13 at 01:34 AM

- Car's been painted.

- Passed the CHP (state police) inspection

- Both the smog and brake/light test is scheduled for this Monday.

After that, back to the DMV for final paperwork, then get insurance, and it's on the road...

[Edited on 3/10/13 by kb58]

Doug68 - 10/3/13 at 03:08 AM

Hi Kurt,

Major congratulations!
The car looks excellent, now go get it dirty!

kb58 - 3/12/13 at 04:04 PM

I know I've been away a while, but after what seems like a long time, not only is the car done, but the book as well!

It's available only through Lulu, an online printer and distributor, at Midlana book

(I believe that they have a regional printer in the U.K., which should help on shipping.)

Oh, and be sure to use the discount code FREESHIP for free shipping through Dec 10. [Edit] NOTE, apparently the discount code is case-sensitive, so make sure it's upper case.

Sorry for the giant picture - again

[Edited on 12/4/13 by kb58]

kb58 - 3/12/13 at 04:20 PM

Dyno run Around 410 whp

Glamour video My buddy works magic with a camera and editor

Autocross I am waaay out of practice

Trackday drive-bys Yes, some early braking, since we weren't allowed to pass mid-corner

In-car trackday video (148 mph!!)

[Edited on 12/3/13 by kb58]

big_wasa - 3/12/13 at 08:03 PM

Just ordered mine

bozla - 3/12/13 at 10:27 PM

I was going to ask for it as a Christmas present but it'll be a bit expensive for that. I will order in the new year though when everything has settled down. I really liked the Kimini book as it was very practical. I bet you never thought you were going to write a book on the subject let alone 2 when you started building Kimini all those years ago!

kb58 - 4/12/13 at 01:23 AM

If someone had told me when I was a teenager that not only would I build two cars, but write two books about them, no, I wouldn't have believed them.

My brother said the same thing about him building an airplane.

Irony - 4/12/13 at 08:42 AM

I would dearly love that Midlana book. But as I am due to be a father next week and I have just moved house I cannot justify the cash. Will it at some point be a ebook?

ashg - 4/12/13 at 11:57 AM

Funny you should say that! I said exactly the same :-) when CKC printed my stuff. I'm the guy that had to retake English at school, I failed the first time round :-)

if you want a contact to get the uk/europe printing costs down let me know and i will put you in touch with someone.

[Edited on 4/12/2013 by ashg]

ashg - 5/12/13 at 12:13 PM

other half just ordered me a copy

kb58 - 5/12/13 at 02:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Irony
...Will it at some point be a ebook?

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: not for a few years. The reason is that I'm paranoid that someone will hack the eBook version and put it on the Interwebz for free. There is so much work and time in the book that I want to protect it, at least until I arbitrarily decide that its run its course, then I'll lighten up and enable the eBook version as well.

FWIW, the eBook version of Kimini has been available for several years now. For the Midlana book however, I'd expect that people would rather own a hardcopy since it's easier to just take the book out to the garage instead of printing pages.

[Edited on 12/5/13 by kb58]

kb58 - 5/12/13 at 02:23 PM

Here's some videos made over the last year or so:

Dyno run Around 410 whp

Glamour video My buddy works magic with a camera and editor

Autocross I am waaay out of practice

Trackday drive-bys Yes, some early braking, since we weren't allowed to pass mid-corner

In-car trackday video (148 mph!!)

[Edited on 12/5/13 by kb58]

coozer - 7/12/13 at 08:35 PM

Well, thanks to all involved, Lulu in particular, just had the incentive to click the order button

Only short givings I have is the price dropping as demand picks up...

kb58 - 7/12/13 at 09:08 PM

The Kimini book has been available for years and I haven't dropped the price yet, so don't worry about the Midlana book drooping any time soon

[Edited on 12/7/13 by kb58]

kb58 - 10/12/13 at 01:46 AM

Lulu is currently running an on-again/off-again 30%-off sale.

[Edited on 12/10/13 by kb58]

b14wrc - 25/12/13 at 06:27 PM

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say I got the book this morning and I have had a little flick through.

Kurt, well done mate, very very nice write up, looking forward to reading it in full. One of my best presents this year.

Happy Christmas all.

Rob

ashg - 25/12/13 at 07:22 PM

I have read mine cover to cover, its a very good book its actually tough to say this as i know chris that wrote the roadster book, but its much better than any of the haynes Locost books.

The thing I really like is it doesn't just say do it this way, it shows the trial and error with early ideas and clearly explains all the important design decisions in the end design making it much easier to play with the design as it helps you work out the consequences of changing stuff. It also explains common mistakes to watch out for along with some good engineering tips.

Its not 100% perfect (no book ever is) and its not a cheap book but it's worth the money, it really is a top read. If your planning to build a locost/haynes I would highly reccomend reading this before you start as it will seriously help you build a much better car regardless of which end the engine is in.

kb58 - 25/12/13 at 09:48 PM

Thanks, guys, you flatter me.

I made a thread for the book on my builders' forum where readers can point out errors, omissions, or suggest additions. As painful as it is to do so, it's really the only way to make sure that future editions are better, and to keep people from posting the same findings over and over.

Actually, what concerns me the most is that because I spent so much time on it, I worry that I've overlooked obvious issues or topics, which, when pointed out, will cause the inevitable "Ugh, good point." That's my insecurity leaking through, but comments like yours really help. Thanks again.

Kurt

[Edited on 12/25/13 by kb58]

ashg - 25/12/13 at 11:52 PM

You should be proud of what you have achieved. You have done a good job of documenting a lot of the stuff I have spent the last decade learning, which will be massively helpful to tones of people. Simple things like tube in application, proper bracket design, understanding loads/force/bending, correct application of rod ends, pros and cons of inboard/outboard suspension, wheel and tyre selection, basic geometry, material selection and much much more.

The best thing is it has allowed me to drown the background noise out today with my siblings offspring (toddlers) running a muck round my parents :-) and its all OK because uncle Ashley is reading his Christmas book! (Had to play down the fact that it was an early Christmas gift)

kb58 - 26/12/13 at 12:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ashg... wheel and tyre selection...

What is this "tyre" thing you speak of?

Just kidding, and notice in the book that I call the windshield a windscreen. For some reason it seemed much more proper.

[Edited on 12/26/13 by kb58]