Board logo

Opinions on new Grabercars logo design please
sgraber - 11/4/06 at 11:33 PM

I'd like your opinion on the winner of my logo design competition. Ok, so it's the only one... But I think it's great. Would like to hear from the crowd tho.

New Logo
New Logo

mookaloid - 11/4/06 at 11:34 PM

I like it

mangogrooveworkshop - 11/4/06 at 11:47 PM

GOOD very good

Simon - 11/4/06 at 11:48 PM

Like it too.

ATB

Simon

AdamR - 12/4/06 at 01:53 AM

Good logo... simple and effective.

One little thing though (you did ask): I think the straight horizontal bar in the middle is slightly awkward - probably because the rest of the logo is curvy. I'd consider adding a subtle curve to it and/or having less of a square end.

Feel free to disregard that advice... it's nearly 10 years since my A-level in Graphic Design and I only got a grade C.

RallyHarry - 12/4/06 at 07:07 AM

Looks like the polylines are a bit off, like you have drawn it of a scaned hand drawing.

1.Try making it by using circles as guide, and then stretch it into the "superman shape"
2. The horizontal bar in the middle doesn't have to be that long, look at the G in the Graber word. If it's short it will be easier for the eye to read the whole logo it into a G ( but mybe it should be hard ...)
3. Currently there's a contrast between the heavy font ant the light lines in the symbol, ease up on the kerning and take some weight of the font and it should be GREAT.

Goood job though, it's not easy making a logo.
It should work in all ranges from a rough black&white fax print to beeing laser cut in aluminium, with all the glossy colour prints inbetween. Good luck

Cheers

Hellfire - 12/4/06 at 07:44 AM

I like it but I'd personally just stick with a G...

iscmatt - 12/4/06 at 08:45 AM

i like it though as a logo i wouldn't put 'cars' underneath.

Hammerhead - 12/4/06 at 09:23 AM

I agree that you should drop the 'cars' part.

Maybe integrate the name into the logo? See pic below.

I have also attached the logo for my car the 'Hammerhead'

good luck with it and keep us posted. Rescued attachment Untitled-2 copy.jpg
Rescued attachment Untitled-2 copy.jpg

Hammerhead - 12/4/06 at 09:28 AM

my logo: Rescued attachment logo5.jpg
Rescued attachment logo5.jpg

Spyderman - 12/4/06 at 02:29 PM

I like it!
I think the fact it looks slightly right side heavy is good as it makes it unique and instantly recognisable.

Keep it as is!

Alan B - 12/4/06 at 03:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by iscmatt
i like it though as a logo i wouldn't put 'cars' underneath.

Exactly what I was going to add...then I saw someone beat me to it....

sgraber - 12/4/06 at 04:49 PM

Wow, great response guys. THank you.

My intention is to use the logo by itself on the front of the car. Use the words by themselves (not stacked) on the back right corner of the car and to use the stack (as seen above) for my business cards.

I am going to try some of the suggestions you have made. Hammerhead, your idea with the graber inside the logo is neat, but I wonder if it will get too small when reduced to the size I want on the bonnet. And it makes it a bit complicated looking. Busy.

Do you like the fact the the bottom of the G has a point, like a shield? or should it flow smoothly in an arc?

Hammerhead - 12/4/06 at 04:57 PM

I like it as a shield. sort of a cross between Oakleys logo and superman!

Just had a quick play...what do you think of the one below? The G is distinctive, and could be used as the badge on the front. It would look good machined from aluminium and polished.
If you want the font i'll send it to you.

[Edited on 12/4/06 by Hammerhead]

jimmyjoebob - 12/4/06 at 05:02 PM

You could try simplifying a little

[Edited on 12/4/06 by jimmyjoebob]

jimmyjoebob - 12/4/06 at 05:04 PM

Dammit, I still can't put in pictures! Nevermind, see my photo achive for car logo if interested.

Or another variation on this theme

or for more detail

[Edited on 13/4/06 by jimmyjoebob]

Hammerhead - 12/4/06 at 05:09 PM

as described above Rescued attachment Untitled-2 copy.jpg
Rescued attachment Untitled-2 copy.jpg

Hammerhead - 12/4/06 at 05:15 PM

again but with a bevel like your original.
The G kind of reminds me of a race track.

[Edited on 13/4/06 by Hammerhead] Rescued attachment Untitled-1 copy.jpg
Rescued attachment Untitled-1 copy.jpg

Piledhigher - 13/4/06 at 11:31 AM

Steve,

How would it look to put "raber" in smaller letters sitting on the inside line of the "G" in the logo?

Cory

[Edited on 13/4/06 by Piledhigher]

[Edited on 13/4/06 by Piledhigher]

sgraber - 13/4/06 at 07:00 PM

Excellent guys! I'll get back into this over the weekend when my workload isn't so all-consuming. Ever had one of those weeks where it seems like at the end of the day you have more work piled on than at the beginning?

DarrenW - 13/4/06 at 10:33 PM

Sorry Steve, i hate to be twat but to be honest i dont like it. The car is awesome, slek, sexy, muscly etc etc etc. The logo needs to be something similar. To decide if i liked it or not i didnt study it - just took a quick glance which is what most people do on such logos. It reminded me a bit like a cross between the Superman 'S' and the Ginetta logo - both of which are a bit old. The main feedback it gave me that it is a logo off a 15K Far Eastern sportsish car rather than a 40K + carefully engineered and precision tuned Western supercar. Does that make sense? Dont get me wrong it is very good but the car is so much better.

I feel a bit crap that i cant give you constructive suggestion / alternative.

sgraber - 14/4/06 at 02:27 PM

Non, No, don't apologize. You'd be suprised how little negative criticism I have received over the years. I appreciate being able to think about the design from a totally different point of view.

Not that I even agree with you completely, but it's good to do the homework now. So... What company car or otherwise would you look at their logo and say "Ahh, 40,000 big ones!". If you could at least point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

sgraber - 28/4/06 at 12:18 AM

How about this one?

kb58 - 28/4/06 at 01:24 AM

Nope, no sharp corners. The corners.... "radius ratios", if that is a phrase, should match that of the body.

locost_bryan - 28/4/06 at 04:40 AM

I like that last one - maybe you could shape the top of the G to match the "head rests" and roll the corners to match the fender curves (as seen from the rear) to keep the folks happy?

sgraber - 28/4/06 at 04:11 PM

If all goes to plan, the La Bala won't be the only car I design, build and market... I am not trying specifically to match the shape of the la Bala.

(Is that what you were trying to get at?)

Graber

sgraber - 28/4/06 at 10:36 PM

I don't know guys, I think it would be hard to improve on this one. It could be made into the head of a key too.

I have a fullsize one of this as my desktop wallpaper and everyone that has seen it is saying it's top-notch.

DarrenW - 28/4/06 at 11:54 PM

Now youre talking Steve - i like the last one. Very simple and elegant with a purposeful finish to it. By jove i think youve got it!!!!

know why i didnt like the earlier renderings now - too complicated. As Hellire said the simple 'G' says it all.

[Edited on 28/4/06 by DarrenW]

cita2 - 29/4/06 at 12:58 PM

Hi Steve,

the last design is beyond any doubt very "clean" and resembles fine art.
However I'm not too sure if it's a good car logo.

The best thing you can do is put different designs on one sheet of paper and show it to children age 10 to 15.Let them view the paper for 20 seconds and ask them to redraw as many designs as possible without having the original.
Rearange the order of appearance to avoid "first look-first memory".
Than ask them to draw a car under every logo from which they think it resembles a sports car.
Dont be surprised by the outcome of this little test!
Those youngsters will be your customers in the near future!!

Cita.

RallyHarry - 29/4/06 at 07:40 PM

And it should work as your company logo, keep thinking B&W prints and fax-print-quality.

Anything will look good in 3D

Cheers

Dutchman - 3/5/06 at 01:53 PM

the last one is the best , sorth of Superman logo very efective ... I draw very similar one but in mirror for my car logo because my last neme is Jovovic and i made it lok like J letter and like No 7 @ the same time (and if U look sideway it is also D because of my firs name Damjan/ dutchman nickname) I was few years a graphic designer so .... very efective I say , but I dont know will I put it on the car couse my company have different logo for last 4years and lot of people now me like that but it is not a car bedge I do car hifi ... so I'm confused ... well I make a new one...

company logo

the 7ish logo is like this

[Edited on 3/5/06 by Dutchman]

Hammerhead - 6/5/06 at 03:06 PM

I like the last one too!! go for it!

xico_ze54 - 18/5/06 at 09:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by sgraber
I'd like your opinion on the winner of my logo design competition. Ok, so it's the only one... But I think it's great. Would like to hear from the crowd tho.

New Logo
New Logo

it is not so bad as some guys said. I would mantain the original idea with some retouchs, but never present (in the car bodywork) the the lettering joint with the logo.
I could make that retouch for free (take a look at my portfolio: http://www.viseudesign.com/portfolio.htm )
if you want contact me privately at vdesign@sapo.pt

cheers
Amadeu Pires

Lawnmower - 19/5/06 at 09:23 PM

Cant add muc to whats ben seaid already, it all seemed very fair.

I liked the styalisd G (in 3d) the best, but as said above anything in 3d looks good. Perhaps try making them out of alluminium on a CNC machine?

I remember reading a book in shop. All that was in it was different car companies logos, and it gave the reason behind them too.

For example, BMW a blue and white quadranted circle, based on the colours of the Bavarian flag (not an aeroplane prop as i once thought).

Ty this link
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1858942756/qid=1148073840/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/203-0734933-1498366

[Edited on 19/5/06 by Lawnmower]