Board logo

Side panel on Tiki...feedback needed
Alan B - 4/11/08 at 06:05 PM

Hi Guys,

Looking for feedback...good or bad....the colour doesn't help as it doesn't show the fold back towards the rear wheel very well. Panel is fastened by 1/4" Stainless countersunk allen screws.

[img][/img]

stevebubs - 4/11/08 at 06:08 PM

Personally I think the top edge needs to have more shape (anyone any good with photoshop) to make it follow the lines of the car more.

Oh...and it needs a wash!

Alan B - 4/11/08 at 06:12 PM

Yeah it would be interesting what the photoshoppers have in mind....personally I was thinking of shaping the rear edge of the side panel to follow the curve of the wheel......be interesting to see what you guys think...

Alan

Howlor - 4/11/08 at 06:17 PM

I think either follow the top curve or in reverse so it's concave.

Looks good though.

Steve

skydivepaul - 4/11/08 at 06:35 PM

It was just lacking a little something????
This looks better

[img][/img]

zilspeed - 4/11/08 at 06:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by skydivepaul
It was just lacking a little something????
This looks better

You have no idea what you've started here........

Alan B - 4/11/08 at 06:40 PM

He has EVERY idea what he's started...

War of the Roses 2..

This time it's personal....

PAUL FISHER - 4/11/08 at 06:45 PM

I prefer it without sides on at all Alan,or if you have to fit something,I quite liked the side pods in the picture of your car,in the news feature in this months Kitcar magazine

zilspeed - 4/11/08 at 06:47 PM

That's better......Image deleted by owner

pewe - 4/11/08 at 06:51 PM

Zilspeed you're joking of course - it won't get more than a couple of hundred yards before someone rams it up the back end!!!
Cheers, Pewe

BTW just noticed has someone forgotten to turn the clocks back? Could have sworn it wasn't that late.

[Edited on 4/11/08 by pewe]

SeaBass - 4/11/08 at 07:09 PM

zilspeed - 4/11/08 at 07:15 PM

That makes a real difference.

Good call.

Alan B - 4/11/08 at 07:17 PM

And that's easy to do.....nice one...

skydivepaul - 4/11/08 at 07:38 PM

Thats what i meant to do

seriously though looks good with that curve at the back

SeaBass - 4/11/08 at 07:54 PM

Should have said Alan - that's a great car... Here's the spec I'd like mine built to thanks!

Humbug - 4/11/08 at 09:40 PM

Or make the panel reflect the upper rail, as well as echo the wheel, like this:

In addition, if you wanted some more protection, you could cover the "open" upper part of the visible side tubing with LexanImage deleted by owner

nitram38 - 4/11/08 at 09:44 PM

Alan, it will help keep the sand out!
Why not use perspex?
The car looks good open.
I'm leaving the sides open on mine because the front has holes in it anyway, but I may fit perspex later.

Alan B - 4/11/08 at 10:04 PM

Seabass....I was thinking of red.... any chance you could do what you did and make me a red one? I must say though the orange does look good

Humbug....hmmm never though of that...I like that too....

Martin.....sand, what sand?......oh yeah...you know...LOL....perspex (US, Lexan) is certainly worth considering for those who prefer the open look

Thanks for the feedback guys (even Paul)...

designer - 4/11/08 at 10:14 PM

The panel needs a shape to it, probably following the chassis rails.

Fozzie - 4/11/08 at 10:59 PM

Sorry..but got to say, IMHO it has now lost its quirky-ness

If you must panel it, IMHO following the top chassis rail might get the 'shape' back...

Can I ask....is the front (bonnet) how it's going to be? as it seems to have lost the quirkyness there too... again, IMHO it looks 'beaky'...

The wings look good though

feel free to ignore my comments

Fozzie

Alan B - 4/11/08 at 11:10 PM

Hi Fozzie....really all comments are welcome...so thanks.

The panelling idea seems split between yes do it and no don't do it....no overwhelming preference on that issue.....but after driving and sweeping sand of the floor I feel something is needed.

The bonnet is close to how it will be...it's been the way it is for a while...I do agree it is a bit "beaky"....that was deliberate to try and visually narrow the front down a bit..

I totally take onboard your comments and value your opinion a lot so please keep them coming...

Fozzie - 4/11/08 at 11:33 PM

I understand the need to keep it simple and 'easy' to produce, but keeping that unique look by panelling in would mean creating a double curvature, not easy

I understand what you say about the bonnet, perhaps it will look less beaky once the sides are 'right' ?

Yep...there sure is a lot of sand around your way....again.....not an easy solution....

Hard to say not having seen the car in the flesh, have you played with hanging the panels from the inside following the top rail? thus keeping the tubes on show?....and perhaps filling in the gap between the rail and bonnet (near front wheels) with a mesh or louvres?.....

I'll get me coat...

Fozzie

nitram38 - 5/11/08 at 05:46 AM

You could always leave them open but fit longer front wheel wings or mud (sand) flaps

02GF74 - 5/11/08 at 08:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Alan B
personally I was thinking of shaping the rear edge of the side panel to follow the curve of the wheel......be interesting to see what you guys think...

Alan

I agree. The best I cold do with primitive technology Rescued attachment zxc.JPG
Rescued attachment zxc.JPG

ceebmoj - 5/11/08 at 08:43 AM

how about something a bit more like this

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=Tiki%20with%20sidesB.JPG

[Edited on 5/11/08 by ceebmoj]

[Edited on 5/11/08 by ceebmoj]

Hammerhead - 5/11/08 at 11:22 AM

My effort:

Hammerhead - 5/11/08 at 11:32 AM

or this:

Hammerhead - 5/11/08 at 11:48 AM

had a play with a different view. Hope you don't mind?

Alan B - 5/11/08 at 11:57 AM

Wow guys you've been busy....some really good ideas and all doable just for sake of changing a side panel...

Thanks everyone, plenty of food for thought.

Fozzie, looking what Hammerhead did at the sides of the nose I see what you mean about possibly using mesh there.

JC - 5/11/08 at 04:21 PM

Alan,

My ten penneths worth! A small detail to help break up the shape. Hope you like it!
Description
Description

JC - 5/11/08 at 04:21 PM

Alan,

My ten penneths worth! A small detail to help break up the shape. Hope you like it!
Description
Description

Dick Bear - 6/11/08 at 07:18 PM

Alan, may I suggest this as a possibility. It could be accomplished by either metalshaping, fiberglass mold or form in addition to vaccu-form.

Dick Bear Rescued attachment 1A.jpg
Rescued attachment 1A.jpg

Dick Bear - 6/11/08 at 07:24 PM

OR THIS Rescued attachment 1- B.jpg
Rescued attachment 1- B.jpg

Dick Bear - 6/11/08 at 10:26 PM

Pardon my frequency Alan ... but thinking further along the lines of panels for exposed skeletons, ie Ariel Adam, I've often wondered how the idea of vinyl or a variety of other soft materials might be received by those interested in such vehicles. Those interested have obviously negated any issues of protection relating to the traditional shell and may, therefore be receptive to other possibilities.

Here is a quick illustration of canvas or vinyl on your partially finished frame. The marketing possibilities are endless as the concept is perfect for the hopelessly fickle owner who would recognize immediately the opportunity to change colors instantly or for the fashion minded individual who would quickly identify the possibilities of color-coordinating his ride with his/her wearing appeal.

Crazy? Perhaps, but crazy like a chameleon (Anole).

Dick Bear Rescued attachment Vinyl panels.jpg
Rescued attachment Vinyl panels.jpg

Alan B - 7/11/08 at 12:43 AM

Dick, (and everyone really) please comment and alter pictures as much as you like....it's very theraputic and the pixels can't feel a thing..

It's funny how ideas come and go, disappear then re-appear..in particular in looking at your second version Dick it reminded me of one of my earlier versions
Link here even down to the little step on the side...so obviously I am going to say I like your ideas..

Also smiled at the cloth sides because of it's sheer simplicity...it would make a great advertising vehicle...

Again, thanks to everyone for the great feedback

Doug68 - 7/11/08 at 12:47 AM

I like Dick's idea instead of a soft-top, soft-sides.
I think it'd look "all business" like a soft top 4x4 does.
I'd put them on the inside of the frame though to still expose the tube work.

Garbrand - 15/11/08 at 07:15 PM

Had a go with Photoshop. Pulled up the side graphic a bit, makes it look a little faster ;-)

Tiki in orange
Tiki in orange

cloudy - 15/11/08 at 09:43 PM

Gabrand. Nail. Head. Hit.

[Edited on 15/11/08 by cloudy]

Alan B - 16/11/08 at 12:42 PM

Oh nice...I like that

Thanks

Gakes - 16/11/08 at 10:50 PM

love the colour and the side, i just think the bonnet needs more thought,

[Edited on 16/11/08 by Gakes]

Gakes - 16/11/08 at 11:08 PM

how about these suttle changes?: Rescued attachment 2tiki copy.jpg
Rescued attachment 2tiki copy.jpg

Garbrand - 18/11/08 at 09:46 AM

Nice, I like the your matt-black frame (also on your build, looks great!).

How about a simple graphic on the nose to visually distribute some weight, make the car even out a bit without adding the bulge over the engine:

Tiki with some more graphics
Tiki with some more graphics

Alan B - 18/11/08 at 12:27 PM

Oh...nice...damn, so many really nice ideas. Seems to be a popular platform for creative input.

Thanks everyone.

Next step is to mount my lights...they are the typical 7" round seven style units.

sgraber - 18/11/08 at 02:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Alan B
Oh...nice...damn, so many really nice ideas. Seems to be a popular platform for creative input.

Thanks everyone.

Next step is to mount my lights...they are the typical 7" round seven style units.

Garbrands Blue one (2 posts up) gets my vote by a wide margin. The aero-screen look balances the visual weight of the car very nicely. It can be as simple as paint, or as complex as perspex..

WRT lights, have you considered using the smaller units such as the 50mm hella's in a stylish housing? (See Cloudy's middy and other recent atomesques for example). I think the 7"ers will ruin the lines faster than a fat chick in a Dallas Cowboy's cheerleader outfit.

Alan B - 18/11/08 at 03:15 PM

Steve, I hear you re: the lights...trouble is a) I have the 7" round b) the cost of the Hella's c) mounting the Hellas...I wish there was a self cointained housing available.

Damn, I hate all this compromising...

cloudy - 18/11/08 at 04:36 PM

Alan, Russ of Furore cars (on this forum) sells the ones I have off the shelf, with the enclosure. Well priced - and high quality, in my mind the only product on the market that looks good on a middy

Drop him a U2U and see if he can ship one out to you there

Alan B - 18/11/08 at 05:41 PM

Cloudy, thanks, I'll check it out.

ETA. I checked them....look great, but I managed to find some similar ones over here so they are on the way....I started a new thread...

Alan

[Edited on 19/11/08 by Alan B]