Board logo

Re-plating a trailer
907 - 22/2/16 at 09:15 AM

I'm having a bit of a swop round with tow cars, selling my Passat and buying something bigger, but my trailer will still
be used by my son & d-in-l to transport their MX5 track car, so using this as the lowest example.

I also have made an identical trailer that needs plating to cary an MX5 and the tow car will once again be a Passat.

My licence is so old that it's in Roman numerals and covers me for chariots, but these trailers need to be legal for
drivers a little younger, but still not needing a trailer test.

Does anyone see a problem with a plate stamped up as:-

Description
Description

The chassis are not new, hence I've kept the manufacturing date pre IVA, or whatever they call a trailer inspection,
and the chassis and axles are capable of carrying more, but just need to keep it legal (ish).

Thanks in anticipation,
Paul G

adithorp - 22/2/16 at 10:42 AM

Shouldn't the 2 axle weights add up to (or >than) the GVW? (ie including the UW) As it is you'd be limited to 1170kg I think and then only if you got the load ballenced exactly right.

907 - 22/2/16 at 11:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Shouldn't the 2 axle weights add up to (or >than) the GVW? (ie including the UW) As it is you'd be limited to 1170kg I think and then only if you got the load ballenced exactly right.

Thanks for the reply.
My honest answer is that I don't know, hence this thread.

I have assumed that the load on each axle, added to the weight of the empty trailer was the gross vehicle weight ???

I also assume that if the loaded trailer weighed 1600, and the tow car weighed 1824, then added the train weight is 3424kg,
under the magic 3.5 tonnes.

The trailer has been made to carry an MX5 and go in a garage with it on. A road going MX5 weighs 970kg, stripped for the track
a lot less.

Cheers
Paul G

adithorp - 22/2/16 at 11:58 AM

As I understand it (and I'm no expert)...
Each axle weight is the max' that axle can carry. If stopped they will weigh each axle and they should be under whats stated for that axle. Also 2 added together should be under the GVW. You want the Max axle weights added together to be MORE than the GWV so that allows forsome unevenness of the load (ie. For a GVW of 1600kg the axles could have a max each of 900kg and be loaded so that the weight was off centre 900/700) The GVW - UW gives you the max load you can carry.

How the trailer and train weight affect licences complication I don't know as I'm old enough not to have to figure it out.

907 - 22/2/16 at 12:22 PM

quote.

How the trailer and train weight affect licences complication I don't know as I'm old enough not to have to figure it out.

end quote.

Yup. You and me both.

I didn't realise that the axle weights didn't have to add up exactly. They are actually max 1100kg each.

Just trying to plate down so that the trailer falls below 3.5 tonnes MAM, and that towed by a Passat it can cary a 970kg car.

(plus tools, spare set of wheels, etc.)

Paul G

gremlin1234 - 22/2/16 at 12:25 PM

I'am with adithorp here.

looking at the trailer iva, you don't need (ie shouldn't have) the unladen weight, or the date for an o2 trailer.
so
----------------------------------------------
manufacturer name, trailer no.
max permitted laden mass: 1600
axle 1: 900
axle 2: 900
-----------------------------------------------
should do. ensure the tyre ratings are up to these weight too.

might even use 950 as the axle weights

Neville Jones - 22/2/16 at 01:32 PM

The max carrying weights of the tyres is a point that you need to adhere to. Try and get proper 'ply rated' van or truck tyres to be safe.

I've been stopped twice in the past(M5, south of Worcester both times), and all the vosa/DVLA cops were concerned about was the max all up weight of the trailer/van combo and that the tyres were above the max weight capabilities of the trailer.

They didn't look for plates and numbers.

The other point is that they assume the trailer will always carry its max load, regardless of what is actually on it. I've seen some come undone outside Brands circuit on this one.

Cheers,
Nev.

nick205 - 22/2/16 at 01:59 PM

Unfamiliar with trailer laws as (like you) I'm of an age where my license covers towing. My younger brother in law who grew up on a farm driving tractors and towing trailers had to take a test to be able to tow a trailer with car loaded on. Crazy really as I've got little experience towing and in theory am allowed to tow.

Brook_lands - 22/2/16 at 02:00 PM

As I understand it for those with newer licenses the MAM (maximum authorised mass) of the combination is also important as well as the actual weight.

In this your example is the 1824kg you quote for the Passat the kerb side weight or the total permissible weight? If it is the maximum then as you say with a 1600kg trailer you are under 3500kg. However if the the maximum weight permissible on the Passat was 1950kg if stopped even with an empty trailer the MAM would be 3550kg and over the 3500kg for new licences without additional test even though the actual weight was under 3500kg. There are a few getting caught out by this.

[Edited on 22/2/16 by Brook_lands]

907 - 22/2/16 at 02:08 PM

Tyres are 195 55 R10 rated at each, 750/710 single/twin axle, so not a problem.

ash_hammond - 22/2/16 at 07:29 PM

I was considering doing all of this and figured out it was not worth the hassle and risk.

I called one of the local test people with a good rep and haggled on the price. I got it for £300 cash inc DSA test and half a day boot camp.

The hardest part of the test is the S reverse, unhitchig and hitching the trailer in the right order. Once you get that mastered the rest is just knowing the test routes and sensible driving.

I knew later in life i was going to want a caravan so perhaps this puts a different light on it.

907 - 23/2/16 at 08:13 AM

Thanks for all the help on this one.

On the new (sort of ) trailer I upped the axle weights but retained the 1600kg max.
Took it to the weigh bridge and it came out a little higher at 440kg so stamped the plate accordingly.

I will now re plate my own trailer when I pick up the fresh motor, although I can have quite a margin of error
as it will pull 2.1 tonnes. Pick it up on Thursday but will need to fit a tow bar. (on order) Another one of those
relay jobbies I fear.

Many ta muchly's

Paul G

Mash - 13/5/16 at 07:58 AM

Interesting thread this one.....

I've bought recently an old trailer, twin axles, alko, weight stamped into drawbar as 2600Kg, but no plate.

So I've been trying to establish whether it actually needs a plate.

Western towing web site( I bought all of my parts to fix the brakes from them), says"It is not a requirement to display a notice of the unladen weight of the trailer or the towing vehicle, unless the towing vehicle is either a motor tractor or a locomotive, as defined in the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986. "

NTTA site says "To comply with the D.o.T. Code of Practice for the recall of defective trailers less than 3500kg G.V.W. it is desirable that a trailer should carry a manufacturer's plate clearly showing "

So I'm taking it from those statements that I don't actually need a plate. But it is a minefield.

I've tried wading through the Construction and Use regs, but can't seem to make sense of it, still not sure what to do

not even sure what I'm posting this for

Maybe I'm going mad