Board logo

Sierra drum diriveshaft to disk?
ZEN - 17/9/10 at 09:55 AM

I have some slip in drive shafts, diff and drum brakes for my build. I was wondering if I could use the same slip in drive shafts to use the Sierra disk setup at the back or do I have to go for the bolt on drive shafts and diff?

big-vee-twin - 17/9/10 at 11:37 AM

You can do a conversion using brackets from 3GE components, using the same bearing carriers the brackets bolt on the front, Sierra Calipers and discs will then bolt on.

So yes you can.

Your drive flange /Hub needs turning down to 134mm to do this - you can also fit Willwood like this they do a kit.

See mine below:-

Rear Brake mods
Rear Brake mods

Rear Caliper Bracket
Rear Caliper Bracket

[Edited on 17/9/10 by big-vee-twin]

ZEN - 17/9/10 at 12:07 PM

I already got the the sierra disk setup and some drive shafts from a drum rear end.
So actually I need to know if the slip in drive shaft can be used on standard sierra disks bearing carriers?

[Edited on 17/9/10 by ZEN]

dan__wright - 17/9/10 at 01:35 PM

big-v what disks are you using, i was using original sierra disks on the back but too big for the 13 inch wheels.

swapped to fiesta fronts as there are smaller and have a larger bell, had the hubs turned sown slightly but not as small as the ones pictured.

ZEN - 17/9/10 at 08:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dan__wright
big-v what disks are you using, i was using original sierra disks on the back but too big for the 13 inch wheels.

That is going to be a problem as I'm going for 13" rims.

Mark Allanson - 17/9/10 at 10:26 PM

Why do you want to have rear discs? Under very hard braking, the rear wheels are barely putting any weight down - are you considering doing a lot of high speed reversing?

ZEN - 17/9/10 at 10:33 PM

@Mark Allanson

Because I'm completely irrational

I just now realize that the rear discs are bigger then the front one...