Board logo

Wilwood front brakes photos needed
mazie - 17/2/12 at 09:39 PM

Hi guys and gals. Any chance people can post a few photos of their sierra based wilwood front brakes. I think I maybe missing a couple of spacers between the calipers and upright bracket. The kit I bought from rallydesign find come with any guides on what i should have.

big-vee-twin - 17/2/12 at 10:11 PM

I dont have Sierra uprights, I have Cortina but there are spacers between the caliper and bracket, I assume the Sierra is the same.

Ben_Copeland - 17/2/12 at 10:53 PM

You can see the spacers in front of the gold brackets.

They space the calipers away from the centre of the disc off the brackets.

So brackets > spacers > caliper.

bi22le - 17/2/12 at 11:14 PM

Not good news russ. you can get the majority of the shiny stuff on though.

what pads did you go for?

mazie - 18/2/12 at 12:12 AM

wilwood smart pads mate, ill find out what their like in may :-)

adithorp - 18/2/12 at 09:09 AM

Yep, there should be spacers between the bracket and caliper as shown above. RD should sort them for you but a stack of washers would do just to trial assemble them. I also had a smidge machined of the brackets to get perfect caliper alignment, but that was just being picky.
I had the wilwood pads for a while then switched to Mintex1144's and theymuch better.

ps. Why is it when someone asks for photos of a part, it seems to be the one thing I've never taken a photo of?

bassett - 18/2/12 at 10:53 AM

Dont even put the wilwood pads in just order yourself the mintex 1144s they are that bad!

mazie - 18/2/12 at 11:46 AM

Really! Oh heck ! Ok I'll take the recommendation and return the wilwoods for the mintex, why are they soo bad?

bassett - 18/2/12 at 01:53 PM

They honestly feel like you are pressing on the brake pedal with a piece of wood, there is no feedback and no real feel of deceleration and although i havent tested on laps round a track i wouldnt want to. I was thinking surely the mintex cant be that much on an improvement and this is just how a non servo car would feel but the mintex really are a leauge or two ahead, they work from cold and bite like you would expect from a modern car.
Adam

mazie - 18/2/12 at 06:18 PM

Anyone want some wilwood smart pads!
I have noticed there is slight play between the wilwood spacer an the sierra upright lug mounts, is this normal or sloppy design?

Ben_Copeland - 18/2/12 at 06:31 PM

Shouldn't be any play. Wasn't on most sets I've seen.

Can't see how there is play once it's all tightened up?

mazie - 19/2/12 at 10:20 PM

There is play before its tightened up, but the spacer and then caliper location is different once tight depending on where the bracket was due to play?

Ben_Copeland - 20/2/12 at 07:11 AM

Perhaps it's so you can line it up accurately with the disc. I didn't notice it tbh.

thefreak - 20/2/12 at 12:38 PM

I'd stick some DS2500s in if I was you, they're a million times better than the smart pads, and not a lot more cash either