Board logo

Stuck drum brake plroblem
theduck - 10/6/12 at 11:45 AM

Still can't get my head round one of my brake problems.

When I place drums on they move freely, when done up they seize in place. Undo tem half a turn and they move gain, so something's catching, but can't figure out what. All I know for sure as I just checked is that the drum outer edges don't come into contact with the back plate. Couple pics below, any ideas?

Edit: drums are 9 inch

[Edited on 10/6/12 by theduck]

RichardK - 10/6/12 at 12:03 PM

When you say undo half a turn on the four wheel nuts or the main hub nut? If its the 4 wheels nuts I'd double check I've got the correct shoes in and not too wide,maybe put a bit of paint around the edge of the shoe and bolt up and see if it transfers onto the drum itself?

If you mean the hub nut then that's pretty normal and slacken off after a few miles, although for the cost of a wheel bearing kit you might want to think about doing them as you also get a new nyloc with them as its not advised to re use them on hubs.

Ignore that bit about nylocs,just noticed yours are staked!

All in my view anyway.
Cheers

Rich

[Edited on 10/6/12 by RichardK]

theduck - 10/6/12 at 12:26 PM

Yes the wheel nuts. Is there any other way to check the shoes are correct? I'm a bit rubbish at putting drums on and paint will transfer when I put them on.

fullpint - 10/6/12 at 12:42 PM

The upper retaining spring thing.. Are you sure it's in the correct position? Never seen one hook onto where its showing!!! On the left side of the pic. Surely it should locate in a round hole??

Schrodinger - 10/6/12 at 12:45 PM

It looks to me as if the shoes are not central to the back plate and they are not centred properly on the brake pistons.
Make sure that the top of the shoe sits properly in the slot on the piston on each side then put the drum back on and pull up the hand brake as far as you can or stamp on the brake pedal (this should centre the shoes).
See if this helps.

Schrodinger - 10/6/12 at 12:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by fullpint
The upper retaining spring thing.. Are you sure it's in the correct position? Never seen one hook onto where its showing!!! On the left side of the pic. Surely it should locate in a round hole??

As should the right hand end.

theduck - 10/6/12 at 01:02 PM

Nicely spotted full pint. I didn't build these up and never noticed that. Will double check Haynes.

Tried the paint thing, got no transfer from shoe outer edge to drum so tried drum edge to back plate and got this

rusty nuts - 10/6/12 at 01:08 PM

Either the brake is over adjusted or the drum or the drive flange is distorted try backing off the brakes and cleaning the paint off of the flange and the inner mounting surface of the brake drum, then refit and try . If still binding rotate the drum in relation to the drive flange . It might also be worth putting a slight chamfer on the outer edge of the brake shoes to clear any unworn section of the brake drum

theduck - 10/6/12 at 01:20 PM

Rusty nts, it looks as though the drum is contacting with the back plate(despite my initial observations in my first post) so although I see what you are saying, surely the drum/backplate contact is the issue that needs resolving first?

Aaron_n_Sim - 10/6/12 at 02:11 PM

What are the drums originally from, if they're sierra they look upside down the adjusters are normally at the bottom of the shoes.

renetom - 10/6/12 at 02:48 PM

Hi
If these are sierra , they are upside down, as stated by Aaron_n_Sim
The spring positions look wrong.
If these are sierra , how on earth have you fitted the handbrake cables ?
The auto adjusters look very rusty & maybe seized, will need to be cleaned and lubricated as this is the only method of adjusting the brakes
good luck
René

theduck - 10/6/12 at 02:56 PM

As previously said, I haven't fitted them. Will strip down and rebuild as they are sierra.

Auto adjusters are working fine.

fullpint - 10/6/12 at 03:36 PM

Dont you just love forum power.. Hope you get it sorted mate once rebuilt

theduck - 10/6/12 at 04:07 PM

Wouldn't be able to do this without the members on here. Has been invaluable.

Fingers crossed everything sits right when I rebuild it. Job for another day now though.

TGR-ECOSSE - 10/6/12 at 04:38 PM

The most common fault we find with fitting a worn drum onto new shoes is the outer edge of the shoes rubs on the inner edge of the drum as the inner edge usually has dirt or rust build up on it so when the drum gets pulled on that last few mm when you bolt the wheel on it jams. Try putting a slight chamfer on the outide edge of the shoes before you put the drum back on.

rusty nuts - 10/6/12 at 05:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by theduck
Rusty nts, it looks as though the drum is contacting with the back plate(despite my initial observations in my first post) so although I see what you are saying, surely the drum/backplate contact is the issue that needs resolving first?

If thats the case then it may be that the brake backplate is distorted ? Try placing a piece of paper between the drum and the backplate , secure the drum using the wheel nuts and rotate the drum using the paper to locate the tight spots. Carefully clean the backplate at the tight spots and also the inner face of the drum. My previous post suggesting putting a slight chamfer on the outer edges of the shoes still stands,

theduck - 17/6/12 at 01:09 PM

Back again. Out in the grahe looking at this taking one brake at a time. I have out a slight shader in the shoes and rubbed back the drum edges. Still no joy. Looking at the back plate they appear powder coated? Would this be something the previous builder had done or are they powdercoated as standard?

RichardK - 17/6/12 at 02:04 PM

My back plates were just painted, no powder coating so must have been the previous builder.

Hope you get it sorted, must be so frustrating!

Cheers

R

theduck - 17/6/12 at 03:09 PM

Cheers.

I have checked the Haynes manual and the brakes appear all connected up correctly so next step is remove powder coat and hope its just the extra thickness is causing it to catch.

I have check tight spots etc and it is just tight all the way round, which is why I am assuming its the powder coat.

jacko - 17/6/12 at 05:00 PM

Why not remove the brake shoe's and bolt the drum back on if it still binds then its the drum to back plate.
If its not binding its the shoe's binding to drum
Jacko

theduck - 17/6/12 at 07:16 PM

Wood for the trees!

Haven't done anything more today so will do this!

RichardK - 2/7/12 at 01:43 PM

How did you get on mate?

Cheers

Rich

robinj66 - 2/7/12 at 02:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by theduck
Cheers.

I have checked the Haynes manual and the brakes appear all connected up correctly .

At the very least the top spring is wrong - see the middle picture on post #7 - the end of the spring need to be around the "hook" that is the end of the adjuster. [Not a very good description I know]

robinj66 - 2/7/12 at 02:41 PM

End of the spring should go here
[img][/img]

theduck - 2/7/12 at 03:01 PM

Cheers. Haven't done any work on the kit for a while, needs a new master cylinder and this sorting still.