Board logo

CV joint problem
bassett - 4/6/17 at 10:13 PM

Hi, could do with some advice for me seat Leon mk1. Around Xmas I had a hard knocking noise, sounded like splines jumping out of the hub when turning and using throttle at low speed and didnt seem to matter if it was a right or left turns. I replaced the right side outer cv joint with a cheap q drive unit for euros which solved the issue for a couple of months and now the noise is back.

I was wondering can a worn cv damage the hub as it seems odd to go again so quickly or are the cheap brands ie q drive just crap and I should replace with a gkn lobro joint?

I know its something that probably needs to be examined but some ideas on the above as well as how to test would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Adam

nick205 - 5/6/17 at 07:58 AM

I had a mk1 Leon for a few years - a better looking VW Golf IMHO.

Mine was a company car so parts and servicing was covered by them (although it had to be done by a Seat main dealer).

I'd be leaning heavily towards having it inspected first to verify the issue. I'd then be leaning heavily towards replacing worn parts with OEM parts and expecting a written warranty on the the parts and labour involved.

mcerd1 - 5/6/17 at 10:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bassett
I replaced the right side outer cv joint with a cheap q drive unit for euros which solved the issue for a couple of months and now the noise is back.

cheap enough that it could be a badly reconditioned part or one made from cheap steel with very poor heat treatment and/or tolerances ?

or it could just be one of the other CV's - if one wore out the rest might not be far behind

obviously higher quality parts isn't going to be a bad thing - its just going to come down to the money you want to spend vs the risk that the might wear out a bit faster - there are plenty of mid price brands that are 'good enough' so maybe they are a better compromise for you (euro car parts aren't necessarily the best place to buy parts )

also complete replacement shafts aren't that much more expensive than the outer joint on its own - so they are worth some consideration too

[Edited on 5/6/2017 by mcerd1]

britishtrident - 5/6/17 at 11:05 AM

If the grease in the joint gets contaminated a joint will start knocking in a couple of weeks.

Mr Whippy - 5/6/17 at 11:50 AM

I'd also agree it's likely to be the other side now, parts these days are so accurately made they all tend to fail at the same time such as wheel bearings, bushes & ball joints etc