Board logo

Is rivet AND sealant overkill for this?
jps - 13/9/21 at 05:18 PM

As I didn't weld them in the right place, I am now riveting the brackets in place which will support my flexi/hard brake line join.

They'll be similar sorts of things to the bracket shown to the left of this pic (not my car - pinched from 40 Inches photo archive...) - in my case they are 2mm steel n varied 'L' shapes - cut down from box section and seriously stiff.
Description
Description

I had planned to put a blob of Sikaflex behind them and then rivet with 2x 3.2mm multi grip rivets.

I've realised i'll have to wait for ages to do this, as i won't open a tube of Sika just for this job. And so I can't sort out my solid brake lines for ages if I wait until I am ready to bond my bodywork on (the only other thing I will use Sika for).

Is the sealant overkill for this job? Is there something else I should blob in there instead? Will 2 x rivets provide ample attachment?

[Edited on 13/9/21 by jps]

[Edited on 13/9/21 by jps]

Paul M - 13/9/21 at 09:35 PM

I would think that 2 rivets would give ample grip to hold a bracket - rivets and sikaflex would be overkill.
looking at the location & thickness of steel , two cap head bolts/ setscrews with nyloc nuts underneath would give a very secure mount.

loggyboy - 14/9/21 at 12:39 AM

Agreed, no load, limited vibrations and no intended movement of pipes. Rivets are fine.

jps - 14/9/21 at 06:35 AM

Thanks guys - in my application (not pictured) the bracket is mounted off box section, hence the rivets. I was thinking that the flexi does put some load onto the bracket - as the wheel moves up/down (back wheel) and in/out (front wheel) but I guess most of the force is taken up in the bending of the flexi in any event...

Edit to add - to satisfy my curiosity, i've just Googled rivet strength and found this, which indicates aluminimum rivet strengths - a lot higher than I had expected!
http://www.fasnetdirect.com/refguide/RivetsCskblind.pdf

[Edited on 14/9/21 by jps]

craig1410 - 14/9/21 at 12:31 PM

How about a couple of M5 rivnuts and cap head screws? You could even go smaller to an M4 or perhaps an M3.

[Edited on 14/9/2021 by craig1410]

Mr Whippy - 14/9/21 at 12:33 PM

If that bracket could be pulled off just with the flexi moving then you have other issues. Most production cars use a thin plate spot welded to the body with a lot less strength than your bracket.

jps - 14/9/21 at 01:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
If that bracket could be pulled off just with the flexi moving then you have other issues. Most production cars use a thin plate spot welded to the body with a lot less strength than your bracket.

Good point - i probably should have looked at my tintop to see how that's done, I am sure you are right and my setup is already "tank-spec" in comparison...

quote:
craig1410
How about a couple of M5 rivnuts and cap head screws? You could even go smaller to an M4 or perhaps an M3.

Having just popped in a few M6 rivnuts (for the first time) - i'm building up anxiety about snapped mandrels/spinning nuts as it is - so am thinking rivets are simpler and leave less room for possible issues!

[Edited on 14/9/21 by jps]