Board logo

DIff
Roscoe - 21/9/06 at 02:47 PM

I am looking to buy a kit from MNR (very impressed with the service) however I am questioning one of their costs.

They have quoted me £500 for a non LSD diff (3.62 sierra I think)

1) is this expensive
2) do I need to go lsd?

StevieB - 21/9/06 at 02:54 PM

You don't NEED LSD. This does seem a little pricey - is it a new unit or something?

I asked for a price for exchange sierra calipers for all four corners and was quoted £300. My local motor factor can do them for £40 each exchange.

Something amiss in the MNR pricing?

Roscoe - 21/9/06 at 03:04 PM

sorry I did not mean need, as in, must have an lsd but will it make a difference. Do the wheels spin much out of corners (I am going R1 route)

StevieB - 21/9/06 at 03:08 PM

I have a standard 3.62 diff for my R1 - not built and working yet but I have very little intention of splashing out on LSD for a while. So - hopefully it'll be ok!

peterriley2 - 21/9/06 at 05:14 PM

id say DO NOT PAY THAT MUCH for a sierra diff, your local scrappy will probably be able to get you a 3.38 (better gearing for an r1) for about 100 big ones. all itll need is a clean and spray, as they are pretty much bombproof anyway.

chockymonster - 21/9/06 at 06:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by peterriley2
id say DO NOT PAY THAT MUCH for a sierra diff, your local scrappy will probably be able to get you a 3.38 (better gearing for an r1) for about 100 big ones.

Ask them for a flying pig at the same time!

chockymonster - 21/9/06 at 06:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Roscoe
I am looking to buy a kit from MNR (very impressed with the service) however I am questioning one of their costs.

1) is this expensive
2) do I need to go lsd?

I doubt it'll be a 3.62, it's more likely to be a 3.38 and yes that is expensive.

Don't bother with the Sierra LSD, it's not really that effective as it's a viscous unit. I've gone for a 3.38 that I paid stupidly low amounts of money for and will opt for a quaife atb when I can afford it.

Wadders - 21/9/06 at 06:58 PM

Having used both a standard ford LSD and now a quaife unit, it's worth saving up for the quaife, as it actually works. I could be wrong, but i blamed the uselesness of the ford one on the fact it was designed for a much heavier car, but maybe it was just worn out. A lot of peeps think an LSD in a 7 is unneccesary anyway. You could always add one later if you wanted, and try an open diff first. £500 seems a tad dear even for a new unit. Iv'e never paid more than £80 for a second hand one, although 3.38's and 3.14's are now fetching daft money.

Simon - 21/9/06 at 07:31 PM

Roscoe,

It says on the left that you're in Manila.

I'm assuming that's the Philippines, does that price include postage?

ATB

Simon

peterriley2 - 21/9/06 at 08:07 PM

quote:

Ask them for a flying pig at the same time!

i actually got a flying pig- last time i went i got a 3.14 diff for £25. i promptly sold it on ebay and made a tidy little profit.......

mnr laptop - 21/9/06 at 09:06 PM

quote:

dont know the specifics as i dont think i have dealt with your enquirey but you have been quoted for complete reconditioned rear end including bearings powder coat etc

best regards

marc