Board logo

2009 BMW 535d For Sale
craig1410 - 15/1/21 at 06:07 PM

Hi guys,

As some of you may recall, my BMW 535d was rear-ended last year and was written off as a CAT S by the insurance company due to the age and cost to repair. It then became a lockdown project last year and is finally ready to be sold.

I've updated my personal blog with loads of photos and details and you can view it here:

https://www.meerkats.uk.com/log-book

I've not had much joy lately with adding photos to this forum but will try a link below:

Description
Description

I'll be putting it on Auto Trader soon but if anyone on here wants a good car for not much money then let me know!

The car is located in North Ayrshire which obviously has added relevance due to lockdown but last time I checked car buying and selling was still permitted. But even if it's not allowed or advisable, I'm sure something could be arranged where a deal could be agreed until such time as collection was permitted.

Anyway, feel free to give me any feedback via U2U or right here.

Thanks,
Craig.

[Edited on 16/1/2021 by craig1410]

[Edited on 16/1/2021 by craig1410]

CRAIGR - 15/1/21 at 08:43 PM

Great car Craig . If I was looking for another id be on your case . Glwts

craig1410 - 16/1/21 at 12:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CRAIGR
Great car Craig . If I was looking for another id be on your case . Glwts

Thanks buddy - you’re right, it is a great car. My wife wants me to keep it and sell my other car.

Truth be told I do have mixed feelings since this car and I have done a lot of enjoyable miles together. There was no way I could ever have waved this car away on the back of a transporter en route to the salvage yard. I’ll probably be lucky to break even on repairing it but it’s the right thing to do. I just need to find a buyer who understands what they are looking at and it’ll sell itself.

Covid permitting, I’m happy to let a potential buyer crawl over and under the car until their heart is content. If I don’t find a buyer then I can always wrap it up, power it down and keep it as a spare car! It deserves to be driven though so that’s plan A

wrayvon - 18/1/21 at 01:24 PM

How much is it up for?

Also that link doesn't seem to work

craig1410 - 18/1/21 at 01:28 PM

Hi,

Yeah, my web host has a technical problem which has been escalated and I hope it'll be fixed today. The site can still be reached via an alternate domain name here:

http://www.craig.chamberlain.name/log-book

Looking for £4950 ONO

Cheers,
Craig.

craig1410 - 9/2/21 at 03:26 PM

Hi,

Just a brief update to say the car is now sold to a very happy new owner!

Mixed feeling of course as it has without doubt been the best car I have owned and an ideal complement to our BMW i3 BEV. But since I already have a replacement E61 and can't drive two of them, it's good to know that the old one will be getting used and appreciated every day again.

I actually sold it via Gumtree but I would describe that route as very hit and miss as I got a few silly enquiries and offers to swap for other random items. I've never sold on Gumtree before but it seems a bit weird where the people I encountered would send me a message asking if the car was still available, then just a few mins later they send another message asking if I got the first one (sometimes in the middle of the night) and then maybe they'll make a silly offer for the car (eg. 50% of asking price). Then when you contact them you might get offered a swap for a trailer or something instead.

Overall I didn't make a fortune out of the accident repair and sale but I didn't lose anything either and more importantly the car will live on!