Board logo

WTD: sell/make me a Mountney classic steering wheel spacer?
Humbug - 30/8/12 at 08:29 AM

Does anyone have, or have the wherewithal (lathe + chunk of ali) to make, a spacer for a Mountney classic steering wheel (the one with the wider PCD)?

On my MX5 (yes, I know, but I used to have a Stuart Taylor!) I have a Mountney with the right boss, but I am finding it a bit far away to be comfortable. I am looking at say a 25mm spacer.

From memory, the PCD is 6x100mm and because of the location of the existing boss holes, I think I would be able to bolt into the spacer from both sides (steering wheel and boss), so I would be looking for threaded holes all the way through. The spacer would need to be lathed out in the middle to fit the horn, so effectively a doughnut shape.

If anyone knows of anything, or could make me one up, please email or PM me. If there are any takers, I will double check the measurements, bolt size, etc.

Thanks in advance

Simon

MikeR - 30/8/12 at 10:53 AM

Would this be the same as the sierra mountney mounting boss?

If so i could be interested in one as well for the right price.

Humbug - 30/8/12 at 11:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Would this be the same as the sierra mountney mounting boss?

If so i could be interested in one as well for the right price.

errr, not sure. My one has a splined end to go on the MX5 column, then the other end has a lip which the bolts go through leaving enough room to whack on some nuts. On mine there looks to be enough room to feed through a bolt from underneath, hence saying that threaded holes all the way through the spacer should work.

maccmike - 30/8/12 at 12:39 PM

any milling shop will do that. wont be too expensive either.

Humbug - 30/8/12 at 12:55 PM

Not sure exactly what a milling shop is, but does anyone know of one in North West Kent/South East London... or, as per my original post, does anyone have the machinery to do it for me?

Cheers,

Simon