Board logo

Sierra Master Cylinder
Hellfire - 31/3/21 at 11:11 AM

Hi,

The MK Indy has just failed it's annual MOT and needs a new brake master cylinder. To avoid having to replace the brake pipes, I wondered if anyone has a Sierra Master Cylinder laying around. It's the one that has two connections from the front and one on the rear. I've searched the usual places but am not having much luck. Any help would be hugely appreciated

Thanks
Phil

Mr Whippy - 31/3/21 at 11:23 AM

there are plenty seal kits available, dead easy, one circlip and it all pops out. Just google - sierra master cylinder seal kit, so many to choose from

I prefer the ones that come with the whole thing, pistons etc rather than just the seals. Then you know it all fits together. Use loads of brake fluid to assemble.

[Edited on 31/3/21 by Mr Whippy]

Hellfire - 31/3/21 at 11:53 AM

Just looking for a like for like replacement to get it back on the road ASAP.

Hellfire - 31/3/21 at 11:56 AM

Maybe a daft question but does the 'search' function on this forum not work anymore?

roadrunner - 31/3/21 at 12:23 PM

Hi Phil.

No is the answer.

If you use your Google search using "Locostbuilders" in the search it works quite well.

Brad

roadrunner - 31/3/21 at 12:31 PM

Have you looked on Ebay.

Linky

[Edited on 31/3/21 by roadrunner]

Mr Whippy - 31/3/21 at 12:52 PM

tonnes on ebay etc, you could get the kit in the next couple of days, 1hr job on the road again...

I can't get anything out the search function. I'd get genuine seals from whatever manufacture made the cylinder. Too risky getting cheap parts that end up writing the car off or worse to save a few £££a

[Edited on 31/3/21 by Mr Whippy]

Hellfire - 31/3/21 at 01:00 PM

I thought there would be tonnes on eBay too but unfortunately I can't find one that's like for like.

The one I have has two vertical connections on the front. One pointing up at approx 45 degrees and one pointing down, plus a rear connection.

roadrunner - 31/3/21 at 01:02 PM

The brake lines are quite flexible. Wont you be able to manipulate them to fit.

Hellfire - 31/3/21 at 02:51 PM

That might be my only option if I can't find an identical master cylinder.....

Russell - 31/3/21 at 04:47 PM

Best to whip the cylinder off the car and check the bore size before you buy either seals or a replacement. Many look the same on the outside but might be 19mm-ish or 22mm-ish bore (sorry, can't remember the exact values).

wowblaauw - 31/3/21 at 05:28 PM

Hi, I might be able to help out. If you can u2 me your email address I’ll forward you mine so I can send images of several I have.
Thanks
Craig

Hellfire - 31/3/21 at 08:42 PM

Thanks for the offer! You have U2U