Board logo

River Cruiser or Narrow Boat Wanted.
ragindave - 1/2/22 at 04:46 PM

I am on the lookout for a River Cruiser or Narrow Boat.
If you have one lying around that you no longer use please message me.
I am based in Lincolnshire but happy to travel for the right boat.
Thank you.

roadrunner - 2/2/22 at 09:57 AM

Have you been watching "Canal Boat Diaries" on BBC4 at 7pm, it's on this evening.
I could certainly get use to that way of life.

Mr Whippy - 2/2/22 at 04:51 PM

I hope you have done your research as these are very expensive to own. Tbh I'd only consider one if I actually wanted to live on one rather than just occasional use. About 20 years ago I was looking at getting or building a boat to live on once I finished building the house as it appealed much more. However once I looked into the costs of everything about ownership, outside of the cost of the boat itself, I realised it was not a cheaper way to live in the slightest. As the saying goes, a boat is just a hole in the water you fill with money.

jacko - 2/2/22 at 08:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
I hope you have done your research as these are very expensive to own. Tbh I'd only consider one if I actually wanted to live on one rather than just occasional use. About 20 years ago I was looking at getting or building a boat to live on once I finished building the house as it appealed much more. However once I looked into the costs of everything about ownership, outside of the cost of the boat itself, I realised it was not a cheaper way to live in the slightest. As the saying goes, a boat is just a hole in the water you fill with money.

Hi
I agree with every thing mr whippy has said we have hired narrow boats for the last 12 + years and found this is the cheapest way
we looked into buying a boat but it just wasn’t feisable
Jacko

ianhurley20 - 3/2/22 at 09:13 AM

I've had a couple of boats. Both were yachts that I used on the Norfolk Broads. First was a bilge keel 2 berth yacht and then moved to a 3 berth swing keel yacht. If buying second hand there are hundreds of cheap boats that are for sale, a lot of them lemons. If you are careful though you can pick one up at reasonable cost. You need to add mooring costs (mine was £350 march to October) and if bringing the boat out for winter you need a trailer and perhaps a crane out or river side storage. Boat insurance is easy to sort but depends on the boat length (£200 ish) BSS or Boat Safety Certificate, a sort of mot which lasts 4 years and is another £200ish for a small boat. Water licence, a bit like road tax, another £200 and then you can start looking at boat maintainance, annual antifouling, in my case sails, outboard serviceing and lots of other things as well as buying the boat.
I can't understand why people say its like a boat is just a hole in the water you fill with money