Board logo

Bench Mounted Pillar Drill
Noodle - 14/6/04 at 09:17 PM

Just assembled a 500w bench mounted pillar drill that I bought from Aldi supermarket for the princely sum of £29.99.

It's obviously cheap and cheerful, the casting haven't exactly been precision machined, but for the price it seems remarkable.

It's got variable speeds up to 2350rpm and even comes with a little work holding vice.

Cheers,

Neil.

JoelP - 14/6/04 at 10:12 PM

mine was about 40 quid without a vice, but i agree that the cheap ones are certainly functional. theres a bit of flex in the platform but it has drilled many holes very well. cant remember the make unfortunately, but i got it off ebay.

James - 15/6/04 at 12:45 PM

The real test is to fully extend the chuck and see how much play there is in it.

Unfortunately I've not yet found a cheap one that meets that test!

James

bob - 16/6/04 at 07:24 AM

Got mine from screwfix £34.99,they sent me a different version fron the catalogue pic (i got a sealey one) but i think there all much the same.

The drill has been invaluable during my build and its still going strong after 2 years of abuse.

If i bought another one i would go for something that turns a bit slower.

Noodle - 16/6/04 at 08:18 AM

This one varies between 280-2350rpm but you have to fiddle with the pullies to get the speed.

I know what you mean James about the play, I reckon there's about 1/2mm of play under full extent and side load. Might measure it properly one day.

How slow does yours go Bob? I was wondering if I would be having similar thoughts about speed.

Cheers,

Neil.

RPS - 16/6/04 at 08:30 AM

I bought a cheap bench mounted drill from screwfix (£49) and although the build quality is poor, it is still much better than using a hand drill. I have used mine a lot over the past couple of months and the slow speeds (under 300 RPM) are useful.

RPS

MarkL - 16/6/04 at 01:40 PM

I set the Aldi one up for mate and it's not bad, there is some play although it's one of the better ones I have seen for the price.

kingr - 16/6/04 at 02:19 PM

I've got a cheap clarke one and kind of wish I'd bought a more expensive one - it runs too fast, it's not powerful enough and the chuck excursion of 60mm isn't enough.

Kingr

bob - 16/6/04 at 07:20 PM

Neil

mie goes down to 300rpm but better drills have more speed settings,i used an old stand drill that went down to 100rpm to drill through some 4 mm stainless and it was much more precise.

JH - 17/6/04 at 02:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kingr
I've got a cheap clarke one and kind of wish I'd bought a more expensive one - it runs too fast, it's not powerful enough and the chuck excursion of 60mm isn't enough.

Kingr

ditto. mine says clarke metalworker, when really its only any good with wood. I cringe when using my cobalt drills with it.

DaveFJ - 22/6/04 at 09:58 AM

Got the Aldi £29.99 job for fathers day

Very happy with it and (for the price) excellent value for money.

Criticisms.... the drilling platfrom flexes a bit and slight play (as said before about half a mil at full extension)

This is the type of thing we need to keep the 'locost' ethos alive

fatfranky - 3/7/04 at 12:11 PM

Glad i read this post, it got me off to Aldi to buy one of those Drills, haven't assembled it yet as i'm waiting till i improve the security of my garage.

While i was there i also picked up a powered mitre saw and am now eying up the 18v cordless drill for £20!

Should i be thanking or cursing you fellas? that's almost £90 of beer vouchers going round the S bend.

PS just received the offers list from LIDL and from thurs 8 July they've got digital vernier calipers for a tenner, very useful for odd bits of measuring internal, external and depth.

Scotty - 12/7/04 at 08:38 AM

B&Q Special £19.99
might be rubbish.............

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/product/product.jsp?CATID=62431&entryFlag=false&PRODID=28834&paintCatId=

Mark Allanson - 12/7/04 at 07:18 PM

I bought one for £40 about 5 years ago, really pissed off that the belt broke a year ago apart from that, very good!

Scotty - 13/7/04 at 07:13 AM

if it lasts for 5 years , not bad really eh ?

Chris_R - 13/7/04 at 05:51 PM

I bought one of the B&Q ones this weekend in there 1/2 price sale for less than £20 and for the price you cant argue. It's made by Professional Power Tools, has a 13MM chuck, there's no play in the chuck, the RPM goes from 525 - 2660 and, I might have said this, but you can't argue with £20. If I were building an orbiting space telescope I might want something a little higher in the range and possibly a higher salary, but in value for money stakes I think it’s a bargain.

Incidentally, I use a Clarke MetalWorker at work and the chuck keeps falling off.

theconrodkid - 13/7/04 at 06:17 PM

i got a b&q jobie about 10 years ago,still goin strong

James - 13/7/04 at 06:19 PM

Just been to the B&Q superstore here. No bloody pillar drills at all!

What a bunch of muppets!

Farnborough tomorrow it is then!

James

Chris_R - 13/7/04 at 06:42 PM

James,

The first time I went there weren't any. Collared one of the guys in the "Tool Corral" (yee haaaaaa) who gave me a barcode number. I took it to the sevice desk, ordered and paid for it. They called me when it arrived and I collected. Best to pay for it when ordering as if it comes in when the promo's finished you'll have to pay the full price, or so I'm told.

James - 16/7/04 at 03:14 PM

Well, attempted Farnborough one at lunchtime. The big (semi-decent) ones normally at £135 are half price too but they've run out and aren't getting them back in!
Maybe I'll try a £20 jobbie as it has the same faults I've found with every modern pillar drill I've seen- ie. play in chuck, crap handle, crap guard and crap depth gauge.

Oh for the days of the massive old 'college' ones!

James

James - 17/7/04 at 10:13 AM

Went back to Franborough B&Q. In the five hours I'd been away they'd sold all but one of the £40 down to £20 drills and all the others apart from a £30 one which I went for as it was 50% more powerful than the £20!

James