Board logo

Best angle grinder?
alistairolsen - 4/4/11 at 03:01 PM

On a budget of £50 at most, what would you buy?

Ive had virtually the full range of cheap ones (when working lots with grp.....) and theyre ok, but dont last and are fairly chunky and heavy. Sadly, they're also no longer very cheap!

I had a Makita a while back which was very neat, more comfortable to hold (smaller case) and a good bit lighter. Im tempted to buy another (about 40-45 on eBay)

What else would anyone recommend in this price range?

Cheers

BenB - 4/4/11 at 03:11 PM

As long as it hasn't got a plastic bearing holder at the disk end I still go for cheap grinders then I can have one with a grinding disc on it and one with a cutting disk on. Much more efficient. The only grinder that died on me had the aforementioned plastic bearing holder which got a bit too hot during an extensive grinding session causing some serious wobbling and vibrations as the bearing rattled around in the rapidly enlarged hole (causing even more heat). Luckily I switched it off ASAP so it didn't do too much damage.

welderman - 4/4/11 at 03:17 PM

Ask Scootz, i heard hes pretty handy with an angle grinder

On a serious note we use Makita and Bosch, both very good

tomgregory2000 - 4/4/11 at 03:20 PM

Bosch pro, the Blue one, i have one and the old mans work (metal fab) use them all the time

one of these click on me

[Edited on 4/4/11 by tomgregory2000]

T66 - 4/4/11 at 03:20 PM

I have had a Worx grinder for 4 years, not the lightest nor the most expensive @ £40 (Argos)

Extensive chopping of 4x2 box steel, grinding still going well.

heavy in the hand for extended use, allows you to stop more often and drink tea.

scootz - 4/4/11 at 03:25 PM

MAKITA

The choice of champions!

jossey - 4/4/11 at 03:41 PM

ive had a bosch grinder for many years now and its really good only down side was it was low power. it cut through stuff ok but not as good as i would like.

about 3 months ago now i bought this one.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb281grd-4-angle-grinder-230v/93905

£25 from screwfix.

I love it. its much quicker for cutting through my GRP and the 16 gauge steel box than my bosch one was.

It also has 2 year warranty. 1 year through screwfix n one extra manufacturer warranty so you have to send away.

It also comes with 5 discs.

anyway hope this helps.

i dont normally buy cheap tools as i find they dont last but the reviews looked good on internet.

The bosch one has lasted me 4 maybe 5 years but its only 600 watt. so that also gets my recommendation but they are not cheap to buy.

chrsgrain - 4/4/11 at 03:55 PM

Makita, definitely - need another grinder to do Bens trick with, and will be getting another Makita as so pleased with the one I've got already.

Chris

whitstella - 4/4/11 at 03:58 PM

hi i work in a quarry and our 4 1/2'' grinder gets used everyday and we are very mean to the little chap but in 9 years this is only our second 1. and they are about £50. treat yourself.

steve

Mr Whippy - 4/4/11 at 04:00 PM

bosch for drills and black & decker for the grinders

Confused but excited. - 4/4/11 at 04:29 PM

First choice Makita but having said that I bought a cheap £14 from B&Q and it's a little belter that is smaller that the usual cheapo ones and doesn't give you white fingers after 3 mins. well happy with it.

daviep - 4/4/11 at 04:51 PM

Bosch "blue" without doubt the best grinders available or they were, my 9" grinder is 15 years old and was used daily for the first 5 years, it's on it's 3rd set of brushes now and the gearbox is quite noisy but still going strong.

I'd also invest in a "speed nut" without doubt the best invention ever, see BOSCH SDS CLIC QUICK CHANGE LOCKING NUT GRINDER M14 on eBay (end time 10-Apr-11 16:53:55 BST)

Davie

dinosaurjuice - 4/4/11 at 05:06 PM

MAKITA - ive got the 125mm one which is just that little bit bigger for cutting 1" box easily. had it 4 years, loads of abuse.. still just as smooth and pleasent to use as day 1.

Peteff - 4/4/11 at 05:17 PM

The best angle grinders are Metabo with the marathon motor. Unfortunately they are also the most expensive so order one of these for £30 including vat but plus post.

simonwinn - 4/4/11 at 05:45 PM

another vote for Makita, ive had 3 cheap ones so decided to buy something more substantial I couldnt believe how much quieter it is.

designer - 4/4/11 at 06:13 PM

Makita if you use them a lot.

In my shed I use cheapo's and chuck them away when they fall to bits.

hillbillyracer - 4/4/11 at 06:44 PM

Once I'd have said Makita too, but I've broken both 115 & 230mm ones now! To be fair they were bought together on a deal & the 115 was only 450w so not heavy duty, it lasted less than 3 years doing what you might call the heavier end of DIY use. The 230 lasted much longer, mabye 7 years (but only got used when cutting big stuff).
I've now got an 800w Sparky 115mm which was around £40 & it' done 5 years & still going well but it's nothing like as quiet, smooth & just as compact as the Makita was. The 230mm is now a Hitachi for around £80 & seems very good but I've only has it about a year, we use the same one at work (Agric engineering) & that gets way more use & is 2 years old & still perfect, the previous Hitachi 230mm at work was of unknown age but was'nt near new when I started & I'd been there 17 years when the gearbox went!

rusty nuts - 4/4/11 at 07:26 PM

I have a couple of Hitachi grinders that are nearly 20 years old and have been abused but still going strong

minitici - 4/4/11 at 07:32 PM

I've not killed my Makita yet!

ashg - 11/2/14 at 07:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
MAKITA

The choice of champions!

agreed! plus they have a 3 year warranty if you register them. So even if you kill it which is nigh on impossible in my experience they will trump up and fix it for you.

matt_gsxr - 11/2/14 at 07:41 PM

Makita are lovely and £50 at screwfix new.

ashg - 11/2/14 at 07:47 PM

pay the extra £8 (£58 total) and buy it from axminster tools! included in the price they give you a proper makita case to keep it in and a makita diamond blade. http://www.axminster.co.uk/makita-ga4530kd-angle-grinder-115mm-with-diamond-disc-and-case

at screw-fix you just get the grinder and a cardboard box!

edit btw axminster is free delivery on orders over £50 even to Scotland not to mention that they are a lovely company with really helpful staff in the branches

[Edited on 11/2/2014 by ashg]

Toltec - 23/3/14 at 05:08 PM

Available from Toolstation at £49.98 with the case, diamond and grinding discs.

The bearing in my old grinder seized up yesterday...

Peteff - 24/3/14 at 09:59 AM

Resurrection day and I overlay again HSSToolstation link

Metabo are still best though

Toltec - 24/3/14 at 10:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Resurrection day and I overlay again HSSToolstation link

Metabo are still best though

That is a good price, even with the extra £6.60 for delivery, but not in stock when I checked. Depends if the case will be useful. I also have TS 5 mins away so I could just pick it up.

Brian R - 24/3/14 at 01:39 PM

Bosch.

The end.

trextr7monkey - 24/3/14 at 04:13 PM

We have an elderly Makita - I think for a while they must have cornered the market and hadn't built in a short life span as part of the design work which explains prevalence, have tried various cheapies now have a Dewalt which isn't bad, most modern stuff seems to come with sparks flying off motor no matter what the cost
atb
Mike