Board logo

how do replace the rear handbrake caliper spring?
aka Keith - 7/10/11 at 04:33 PM

I have some shortened handbrake caliper springs for the MK. Sierra disks. Been out in the garage for the last hour, I can easily remove the old springs, but how the feck do you put the new ones back on?

Cheers
Craig

daniel mason - 7/10/11 at 04:40 PM

Bit of a struggle but you will manage. Even I managed it and im a numpty! Just the reverse of removal really.

aka Keith - 7/10/11 at 05:40 PM

Any tricks of the trade here to help....I cannot get ennough purchase on the new spring to fit it back ito position.

Cheers
Craig

novacaine - 20/12/11 at 01:17 PM

Digging up an old post here but could be useful – I stumbled across this post with a google search and maybe someone else will do the same

Im about to do this on my Fiat Bravo,

Im planning on (carefully) compressing the spring with a G clamp – then holding it with mole grips whilst the g – clamp is taken off – then cable tying the spring shut to make easier to manoeuvre it into position then cutting the tie

Please wear impact safety specs for this – I've already had a spring shoot out of the g clamp when I wasn’t being all that careful and its made a nice hole in the side of my finger – would hate to think what it would do to unprotected eyes