Board logo

9" angle grinder
dave r - 23/8/14 at 04:14 PM

blew my 9" angle grinder up today...
it was a kobe, and has done well

dont really want to spend above £100, but what to get as a replacement

matt_gsxr - 23/8/14 at 04:36 PM

After researching this I ended up with a Hitachi G23SS about £60.

I used it for one big project and it is a beast (in a good way), no soft start though.

fesycresy - 23/8/14 at 05:02 PM

I've got the Hitachi too.

Cheap as chips and comes in a good plastic mould box.

mark chandler - 23/8/14 at 05:32 PM

I got one from wickes maybe 10 years ago, still going strong

It's got soft start which saves overloading the motor, I also have another grinder without and it's just not so nice to use.

[Edited on 23/8/14 by mark chandler]

Slimy38 - 23/8/14 at 05:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
I got one from wickes maybe 10 years ago, still going strong

It's got soft start which saves overloading the motor, I also have another grinder without and it's just not so nice to use.

[Edited on 23/8/14 by mark chandler]

+1 to that, I've only got a small grinder but it gives a hell of a kick at startup. I'm tempted to keep it as my spare and buy a second one with soft start.

daviep - 23/8/14 at 05:57 PM

If money was no option I'd go for a Bosch my previous lasted 5 years of daily use before needing a set of brushes, and then another 10 of home use when I rescued it from the bin at work. I'm currently using a Hitachi which has been ok so far.

Personally I don't like grinders with soft start.

Cheers
Davie

dave r - 23/8/14 at 07:01 PM

the kobe didnt have soft start either....

gave quite a reasuring kick when it started!!.... gear box was in good condition when i took it apart thisarvo

IanSouthLincs - 23/8/14 at 07:32 PM

I picked up a second hand Bosch Blue 9" grinder for #40, its bloody brilliant, though the startup gives a hell of a kick! I've used a Hitachi as well and found it good, but maybe not quite the same power or quality as the Bosch. Just my opinion.

Brian R - 23/8/14 at 09:15 PM

Bosch all day long.

Davey D - 23/8/14 at 09:33 PM

We get through lots of grinders at work, both 4.5" and 9". The best have been the Bosch professional GWS range of grinders for reliability and ease out repair/ replacing brushes. We have just bought 5 more 9" Bosch GWS 22-230 110v grinders and got them for £98+vat each

serieslandy - 24/8/14 at 03:12 PM

I've got a hitachi that I rescued from work. It's about 15yrs old and apart from nearly taking my thumb off it's working fine. It's got a real kick on startup though.