Board logo

Threaded inserts for plastic
simonrh - 30/9/14 at 08:57 PM

I have just been converting my quantum to run a polo radiator and it is all now together. I have had it on and off so many times that the m6 threads I tapped into the bosses on the polo rad to mount it are beginning to feel a bit "soft" when I do them up now.
Anyone ever used anything like this before?
http://www.theinsertcompany.com/brass_vaned_expansion_inserts_for_plastic.phpIt
would give me a metal-metal thread that would tolerate being undone fairly regularly and secure what is there.

iank - 30/9/14 at 09:14 PM

They're regularly used in plastic boxes for exactly this purpose. Only problem with them really is buying them in small enough quantities. RS sell them in bags of 100.

renetom - 1/10/14 at 07:25 AM

Self tapper

Slimy38 - 1/10/14 at 08:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by renetom
Self tapper

I thought self tappers were even less tolerant of being reused, almost to the point of being 'single use'?

loggyboy - 1/10/14 at 08:42 AM

Self tapers are ok if you reinsert the screw/bolt carefully so that you reuse the first tapped thread every time. (ie wind the screw backwards till it clicks in to the thread).

steve m - 1/10/14 at 09:34 AM

I had a similar problem with my polo rad, so I araldited some threaded bar into the holes, and used nylocks and washers on the other end

its been like that for a few years now

steve

pewe - 1/10/14 at 11:12 AM

JB weld into the hole, screw in the fixing with a single wrap of cling-film around it, leave to cure then tighten later - simples.
Cheers, Pewe10

Dingz - 1/10/14 at 04:57 PM

You can get something that looks like a nutsert but has a rubber body so you get a bit of damping too. Not sure where from though

simonrh - 1/10/14 at 05:37 PM

I actually have studs in there at the moment anyway so the plan for now is to try a set of inserts that are "press in" that I bought from flebay today. If they don't work as the manufacturer intended then I will do as suggested above and below and bond it all in with epoxy.

brettuk - 6/10/14 at 01:55 PM

Simon, I would recommended you checkout http://www.fasteningsolutionsuk.com/ also, they are a decent supplier of inserts.
I have used them for a while now, they offer good shipping also for bulk orders.