Board logo

Weighing my MK Indy at a public weighbridge
chrisbmxr - 24/6/19 at 08:59 AM

Hi all,

I would like to weigh my Indy. Are public weighbridges suitable for this? I wasn't sure if they would give an accurate reading as they are more designed for heavy goods vehicles etc?

Thanks.

nick205 - 24/6/19 at 09:13 AM

I used a public weighbridge to weigh my MK Indy some years ago. They were perfectly happy to do it. I didn't give a huge amount of thought to the specific accuracy of the result. For legal haulage weights I'd expect the weighbridges are pretty accurate, but that may be at the 40 tonne limit rather than 500kg end. From memory I drove the car on to the weighbridge and got out for the actual weighing process.

Before you go think also about what you have in the car, how much fuel etc, because it all get's weighed.

907 - 24/6/19 at 10:49 AM

I have a mate with a grain storage business and I weighed my 4 wheel car trailer on his weigh bridge.

It registered 445 kgs and when I stepped on it went up 101 kgs so since thats what I weigh I assume its accurate.

Weigh the car then step on yourself.

Paul G

Bigheppy - 24/6/19 at 12:00 PM

I'm a little overweight and when the scales at the doctors would not weigh me I was sent to the local weigh bridge. The doctors always refered large people there and found them to be within 1kg.

Mash - 24/6/19 at 12:53 PM

Had to some scrap metal and batteries from work to get weighed in a metal scrapper. They used a weighbridge to weigh various bits and pieces and there were only half a dozen batteries which were weighed separate from the rest. Seemed pretty accurate.

nick205 - 25/6/19 at 09:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mash
Had to some scrap metal and batteries from work to get weighed in a metal scrapper. They used a weighbridge to weigh various bits and pieces and there were only half a dozen batteries which were weighed separate from the rest. Seemed pretty accurate.

I've done the same myself...

1. filled the car with scrap steel been to the scrap metal dealer
2. Drive on to their weighbridge with the car full
3. Empty the steel into their pile
4. Drive back on their weighbridge and get given a weight ticket
5. Take weight ticket to office (198kg) and get paid

They're not in the business of losing money so their weighbridge will be accurate!

Partofthechaos - 25/6/19 at 02:13 PM

Weighbridges that accept the public have to be calibrated every 6 months (12 months for others). A calibration certificate should say the increments it is calibrated to, and the weighbridge should have a copy of the certificate. I'd find one and ask them, thats the best way to confidently answer your question.

Abe - 26/6/19 at 06:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:

They're not in the business of losing money so their weighbridge will be accurate!

Genius!!!

nick205 - 27/6/19 at 07:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Abe
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:

Genius!!!

Pretty simple logic really. I had high hopes of making enough money to pay for the tin top's annual road tax, but didn't get close. It also took quite a bit of effort and space storing all the scrap metal throughout the year as well.