Board logo

Best free anti-virus software?
Browser - 21/2/14 at 11:31 PM

As above gents, which is seen as the best to use at present? I've used Kaspersky and McAfee over the last few years as they were on special offer, but have been led to believe that the better free ones are just as good, so does anyone have any recommendations?

loggyboy - 21/2/14 at 11:40 PM

Microsoft security essentials is good and unobtrusive.

tilly819 - 21/2/14 at 11:49 PM

Avast

nick205 - 22/2/14 at 12:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Microsoft security essentials is good and unobtrusive.

Works well for me on our home laptops too

wylliezx9r - 22/2/14 at 01:36 AM

I've been using AVG free for years never had any problems with viruses etc. I highly recommend it.

Myke 2463 - 22/2/14 at 06:52 AM

Another for AVG. Used it for years without any problems.

madteg - 22/2/14 at 08:18 AM

AVG

ashg - 22/2/14 at 08:28 AM

immunet seems to work well and is less resource hungry than avg

19sac65 - 22/2/14 at 08:41 AM

+ 1 for AVG
Doesnt take over your PC with new search engines and task bars like some

big-vee-twin - 22/2/14 at 08:42 AM

Microsoft for me.

chrissherwood - 22/2/14 at 09:02 AM

+1 for AVG.

Paul Turner - 22/2/14 at 09:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by tilly819
Avast

Avast for me as well.

Its much lighter on resources than any competitor, it even works on an 11 year old Dell with XP and 512 mb ram. All other products I tried (AVG, MSE, Panda (paid), McAffee (paid) stopped the computer.

I now have it on a total of 4 laptops replacing AVG and MSE. Totally unobtrusive and totally effective (so far).

It pretty much tops all the reviews as well.

Just a couple of things to watch, uncheck the boxes that install Google Desktop and Google Chrome (assuming you don't want them) and make sure you click on the FREE version when selecting.

gottabedone - 22/2/14 at 09:52 AM

Avast for me - as already said it's not resource hungry. I also have Microsoft on two machines.

..................I don't think much of the change of voice on Avast though

Steve

Mr Whippy - 22/2/14 at 10:00 AM

avg for many years, just make sure you do select the free one and not the trial version

benchmark51 - 22/2/14 at 10:02 AM

I've used AVG for years, have loaded up avast for a looksee and it runs quite happily along side
AVG. They both do their own thing, updates and scheduled scans with no problems at all.
Don't notice any impact on system speed so have left it alone.

britishtrident - 22/2/14 at 10:49 AM

Avira or ClamAV of the two. Avira is less resource hungry the pay version of Avira is always my recommendation because of the extra features.

For spam tagging Robin Keir's K9 works well.

Avoid AVG it generates false positives and I have seen too many infected computers supposedly protected by AVG

If you have had had Norton on the PC in the past. make you have completely cleared it out with the Norton Removal Tool for the year Norton you have installed.
Norton is a major drag on system performance and unless you use the removal tool it won't completely uninstall

Also be very cautious of downloading free Windows software from sites otherthan the programs authors asmany Windows sharewares sites bundle browser toolbars and search hijacker malware or trick you into downloading other unwanted software. Unlike the world of Linux free Windows software often come with hidden nasties or costs.

Slimy38 - 22/2/14 at 11:03 AM

I've used AVG for the last few years, but I've noticed the more recent versions have got a bit heavyweight. Now I have Windows 7 PC's I use Microsoft Security Essentials, seems perfectly happy on my low spec PC's. And it also came top in the Which report.

[Edited on 22/2/14 by Slimy38]

Proby - 22/2/14 at 11:13 AM

I used avg for years, but found it was getting more and more of a heavyweight application, slowing my machine down. I know have the free version of avast on all 3 of my machines and it seems great (been on around 12 months).

Browser - 22/2/14 at 09:13 PM

Thanks for the replies Gents, I've had Avast recommended elsewhere and heard the same thing said about AVG (resource-hungry) so I think I'll go with Avast when the time comes.