Board logo

Hard Drive or Caddy Fault?
Hellfire - 27/4/14 at 08:00 PM

Years ago, I removed my old 3.5 hard drive from my old PC and mounted it in an external caddy. It worked fine for a few years but recently I haven't been able to connect to it. I suspected a faulty connection but having checked it over today, there are no loose connections. At least none that are visible...

There is a green/red light on the front. Occasionally it lights up green and my PC detects it but I cannot access it, other times it lights up red and the PC doesn't even detect it. Either way, I can no longer access it

I don't have the equipment to test the hard drive and am thinking of buying a new caddy to rule that out but I don't want to spend money if the hard drive is knackered.

Any suggestions?

Phil

snakebelly - 27/4/14 at 08:11 PM

Try plugging it into a USB port at the back as the front ones sometimes don't have enough juice to fire up a full size hard drive
HTH

Hellfire - 27/4/14 at 08:41 PM

It is connected to the USB port at the back.

Phil

snakebelly - 28/4/14 at 05:56 AM

If you hold the caddy when you plug it it can you feel the drive spin up? Does it make a clicking noise?

Hellfire - 28/4/14 at 11:00 AM

Nope, doesn't make a clicking noise either

Phil

snakebelly - 28/4/14 at 12:49 PM

If it's not even spinning up I would take a look at the caddy unusual for a drive to die totally without any warning

Smoking Frog - 28/4/14 at 01:07 PM

Is removing it from the caddy and connecting it as it was possible? At least the fault could be narrowed down to the caddy or drive.

Sorry just seen this

quote:

I don't have the equipment to test the hard drive

[Edited on 28/4/14 by Smoking Frog]