Board logo

sometime locost is not the best way (WiFi dongle)
02GF74 - 19/11/15 at 01:45 PM

Recently subscribed to Virgin media cable but was not getting the promised 50mbps although it went up from 10 to 25-30ish (depending on which bb speed checker is run).

So I took a punt at one of the 300 MBps WiFi dongles for £ 4.89 to replace the 150 and speed checkers show 50-60ish (depending on which bb speed checker is run).

So yeah, quite pleased with that, naturally a wired LAN would be at least as fast but would required a messing round installing cable with faffing to hide it under carpets.

BTW you can get it £ 1.50 cheaper from China (if you want to wait 3 weeks) but this was UK seller that also included the CD with installation software. It's always a bit worrying messing with a working system by deleting drivers

[Edited on 19/11/15 by 02GF74]

Irony - 19/11/15 at 03:00 PM

Never quite understood the 'need for speed' when it comes to internet connections. You only need 10-15mb for streaming services and 25mb for High Def IPTV. What are you doing with 50mb????? Real-time medical image consultation perhaps?

Davey D - 19/11/15 at 03:17 PM

ive noticed some ISP state how many users is recommended for a particular line speed. Makes me laugh when they say 50Mbps is recommended for 1-4 users. We seemed to get by in the days of dialup ok. But then i suppose as connection speeds have increased the services we use online are becoming overly bloated

ianm67 - 19/11/15 at 03:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
Recently subscribed to Virgin media cable but was not getting the promised 50mbps although it went up from 10 to 25-30ish (depending on which bb speed checker is run).

So I took a punt at one of the 300 MBps WiFi dongles for £ 4.89 to replace the 150 and speed checkers show 50-60ish (depending on which bb speed checker is run).

So yeah, quite pleased with that, naturally a wired LAN would be at least as fast but would required a messing round installing cable with faffing to hide it under carpets.

BTW you can get it £ 1.50 cheaper from China (if you want to wait 3 weeks) but this was UK seller that also included the CD with installation software. It's always a bit worrying messing with a working system by deleting drivers

[Edited on 19/11/15 by 02GF74]

Did exactly the same with my all in one PC. It already had a built in 802.11N Wi-Fi adapter but bought one of these and my connection speeds have gone from 45Mbps to over 100Mbps...... Wished I'd tried this before I changed from BT Infinity to Virgin, I may not have had to bother in the first place.....

SJ - 19/11/15 at 08:36 PM

I recently bought a tp link AC usb wifi dongle to test how much better it is with a ac router and is is much better than the power line adapter I was using before. It was £25 though.

Paul Turner - 25/11/15 at 04:59 PM

I simply changed a setting in the Virgin media Superhub and my speed went from about 20 mb/s to just over 40 mb/s. Good enough on a 60 mb/s connection and cost me nothing.

Bought one of those cheapo Chinese dongles a couple of years ago for an old laptop. The expensive Belkin one would not connect using Linux. Cheapo one connected instantly.

britishtrident - 25/11/15 at 06:37 PM

Most routers in any given street will be on just a couple of Wifi channels doing a site survey and moving on to a vacant channel works wonders. However BT Home Hubs always seem to reselect t to channel 1 on reboot.

Hodor - 26/11/15 at 07:36 AM

Screw you lot, I get 3mb download speed. Don't come crying on here about "just" getting 25mb! ;-)