Board logo

american feck up
macspeedy - 4/9/05 at 08:29 AM

petrol stations all over america are closing not because of fuel shortage but because the pumps can not be set to charge more than $3 :

JoelP - 4/9/05 at 09:35 AM

similar problem over here when the price goes 3 digit, and all the signs can only display 2!

NS Dev - 4/9/05 at 10:20 AM

..........................................and seeing as Ultimax is now 99.9 p a litre near here should be interesting!!!!!

andyps - 4/9/05 at 11:22 AM

When I worked in a petrol station as a teenager Petrol had just gone over £1 a gallon and the pumps could not cope - I seem to remember they registered everything at half the price which I had to double to charge the customers.

steve_gus - 4/9/05 at 11:24 AM

why should that be an american feck up?

wait and see what happens at a lot of stations here when it hits a quid. The plan is to set the pumps at half price, but you pay twice that at the till.

A British feck up then?

atb

steve

JoelP - 4/9/05 at 02:07 PM

they'll start pricing it per half litre, to make us feel better!

DarrenW - 5/9/05 at 08:57 AM

I wonder if they'll price it by the pint??????

David Jenkins - 5/9/05 at 09:03 AM

The logical way would be to price it by tenths of a litre - then all the moron on the cash register would have to do is shift the decimal point one place.

David

quattromike - 5/9/05 at 05:17 PM

they already charge over a quid some places up here . I think it's so dear to pay for the extra big sign they need? to display the price

steve_gus - 5/9/05 at 07:35 PM

i think the moron with the wallet may in some cases insist on paying what the pump just said.......

atb

steve

the JoKeR - 8/9/05 at 12:04 AM

That doesn't sound right to me. I haven't seen a pump in years which didn't have a LCD display, so they're fine until we hit $10.00 a gallon. Haven't heard anything about that on the news, either. The biggest problem areas have been in the south, where gas stations are running out of gas because of all the people trying to leave. Many people were also in a "panic" mode when the prices jumped about $.50/gallon overnight, and everybody was going to fill up wether they needed gas or not.

Browser - 8/9/05 at 03:52 PM

A friend told me today that any of the filling stations you see in this country who's pumps are on the pavement or very near the roadside have a limited time left. As lonmg as the pumps keep working they're OK but as soon as they need new pumps they are not allowed to install them that near the road, they have to be set back. Added to which, with the COMAH regs which cover storage of fuel they'd probably need double-skinned tanks anyway. So, if you've a small rural garage like this near you, use it while you can

steve_gus - 8/9/05 at 03:54 PM

30 years ago, the UK had 40,000 pertol stations. Its set to drop below 10,000 this year.

atb

steve