Board logo

Flared sidepanels
james h - 2/9/11 at 05:39 PM

I'm after some advice about flaring the sidepanels on my car, and to see some pics if anybody has any?

I made a mess of mine when I crashed the indy, but I had been thinking of flaring the sidepanels anyway - the idea is to put a flared section from the front suspension (maybe enclosing the area around the suspension mounts) back to around the area of the scuttle.

My current sidepanels are all mangled on one side around that area, so I was thinking of cutting them back and fixing some aluminium panels for the flared section.

What thickness should I use and where do I get the aluminium from?

Thanks

James

jacko - 2/9/11 at 06:23 PM

Here is a photo out of DRC INDY 7 photo archive

franky - 2/9/11 at 06:40 PM

Mine....

scootz - 2/9/11 at 07:52 PM

Looking Franky!

james h - 2/9/11 at 08:21 PM

Thanks guys, exactly what I'm looking for!

Is that 3M wrap on yours Franky? Looks really good!

franky - 2/9/11 at 08:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by james h
Thanks guys, exactly what I'm looking for!

Is that 3M wrap on yours Franky? Looks really good!

Cheers, got some better ones but i've got to wait for a few things to be published.

It's 3M wrap, its not carbon though but the metallic grey stuff they do, in some light it just looks flat grey, others you can really see the weave. Cheaper than painting

locoR1 - 2/9/11 at 08:49 PM

The only good picture i can find of mine, Freshly painted and offered up for a look

RK - 2/9/11 at 10:06 PM

Those are some beautiful cars.

james h - 2/9/11 at 10:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RK
Those are some beautiful cars.

Absolutely +1

AdamR - 3/9/11 at 09:08 AM

Couple of pics of my very work-in-progress "slash cut" sides. They're designed so that I can get access to engine bay, pedal box and battery (in passenger footwell) without disturbing the headers, suspension, etc.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

(Sorry about the lo-fi pics - seems I over did the compression)

tomprescott - 4/9/11 at 01:51 PM

Wow those all look awesome!

Franky, is that a gsxr hiding in your garage?

Steve Hignett - 12/9/11 at 05:06 PM

Steve Hignett - 12/9/11 at 05:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tomprescott

Looks like a 600SRAD to me??? My first bike was a P Reg 600 SRAD and I loved it!!!

SausageArm - 12/9/11 at 05:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
quote:

Looks like a 600SRAD to me??? My first bike was a P Reg 600 SRAD and I loved it!!!

Not with the small section rear wheel/tyre and twin exhaust cans, more like an RGV250 i think.

SRAD 600 was my first bike too, always have a bit of a soft spot for them... happy days

[Edited on 12/9/11 by SausageArm]

westy turbo - 13/9/11 at 07:00 AM

Just a slight cut,open,fibreglass it,paint

joscorstjens - 15/9/11 at 09:30 PM

just wondering: how effective are all these solutions in providing additional reduction of heat?

Steve Hignett - 15/9/11 at 10:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SausageArm
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
quote:

Not with the small section rear wheel/tyre and twin exhaust cans, more like an RGV250 i think.

SRAD 600 was my first bike too, always have a bit of a soft spot for them... happy days

[Edited on 12/9/11 by SausageArm]

You're right - didn't bother looking at the exhaust, but I'd put a Fiver that the SRAD I had, had the exact same colour and decal location

westy turbo - 16/9/11 at 02:56 PM

For sure air is finding a way out,now compine it with bonnet vents,and get even lower temps,
how low?? dont know