Board logo

fitting a bonnet
nick-york - 23/10/13 at 07:28 PM

Hi all ! Im going to fit my bonnet shortly but need a bit of advice first please ? Im using a fibreglass one and my exhaust manifold goes over the top of my chassis rail . So do i need to put anything round the exhaust to stop the heat from damaging the bonnet? Or is just an air gap best ? Has anybody on here got some pictures i can look at ? Ive tried to find some information on here about all this with no luck so far . cheers !

big-vee-twin - 23/10/13 at 07:53 PM

I have just done mine, I am planning to use exhaust wrap on the pipes and place some heat reflecting matting on the inside of the bonnet fixed with adhesive.

[img] Bonnet cut for exhaust
Bonnet cut for exhaust
[/img]

nick-york - 23/10/13 at 08:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
I have just done mine, I am planning to use exhaust wrap on the pipes and place some heat reflecting matting on the inside of the bonnet fixed with adhesive. Thanks . That looks very tidy. So do you intend having the bonnet pressed against the exhaust wrap when its closed ? Or do you intend leaving a slight gap ?

[img] Bonnet cut for exhaust
Bonnet cut for exhaust
[/img]

big-vee-twin - 23/10/13 at 08:13 PM

There's a 20-25mm gap all round so there will be a gap when wrapped

[Edited on 23/10/13 by big-vee-twin]

nick-york - 23/10/13 at 08:29 PM

Thanks for the advice big vee twin ! Hopefully i ll have it fitted at the weekend.

big-vee-twin - 23/10/13 at 09:09 PM

I made a cardboard template using a flexicurve.

Then chain drilled the shape out and used a dremmel to sand it.

bill132hotrod - 23/10/13 at 09:30 PM

This is mine run like this for 3yrs no problems.

nick-york - 23/10/13 at 09:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bill132hotrod
This is mine run like this for 3yrs no problems.Hi ! That looks very tidy . And probably the most shiny bonnet ive ever seen ! very nice.

Humbug - 24/10/13 at 09:23 AM

I made a trim for the cut fibreglass from aluminium. Riveted on, then the lip bent over the cut edge with a soft mallet