Board logo

Mac#1 ?
jawskk - 13/11/12 at 11:01 PM

Hi,

I currently have a thread running in the general about this, and thought i'd pop over here to ask further before i rule the idea of the mk#1 with BEC?

Im 16 turning 17 next year and would like one of these for my first car to share with my brother. I'll link the original thread below so you can take a longer look at that im trying to do and who else is involved etc.

I was told that this wouldn't be the best idea, and that i would struggle with insurance? Any further information on this and what could be suggest?

Thanks
Mike

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/viewthread.php?tid=176234

[Edited on 13/11/2012 by jawskk]

marcjagman - 13/11/12 at 11:53 PM

Explain your plan to an insurance company and let them tell you if you could get insurance.

designer - 14/11/12 at 09:59 AM

Just contact all the insurance companies and get a quote.

jawskk - 14/11/12 at 10:50 AM

Will try that, what would a realistic engine for a 17 year old be?

Humbug - 14/11/12 at 11:44 AM

AFAIK even if you do manage to get insurance (because of your age), most if not all insurance companies are wise to BECs i.e. they know a 1 litre bike engine is not the same as a 1 litre car engine.

I would be looking at the smaller/lighter car engines that can be upgraded later to larger capacity ones of the same type e.g. Ford Zetec SE (I think they start at 1.25 litres), Rover K Series (1.4 or even at a push 1.1...). Older ones, if they don't need too much work, include the trusty Ford Crossflow (1.1, 1.3)?

Good luck