Board logo

good conneciton to savage switches
andrew_s - 9/5/10 at 09:49 AM

hi

just getting round to wiring up my savage switches - what have people found to be the best way to connect to these switches. i bought some small red insulated female blades, but these just feel a bit loose even after some further crimping, i dont fancy soldering them all on, so wonder if theres a better option. thanks.

daniel mason - 9/5/10 at 09:52 AM

you can get different blade sizes! what size blades are on your red lugs?
can you double the wires over in the crimps?

[Edited on 9/5/10 by daniel mason]

bassett - 9/5/10 at 09:56 AM

Got mine from maplins(exact size), these do feel cheap and nasty and the insulating plastic moves around but so far after a year of driving they have stayed on fine.

[Edited on 9/5/10 by bassett]

YQUSTA - 9/5/10 at 10:11 AM

Same as above.
iirc you will find them in the speaker part of the store as the were the speaker terminals.

If you still find them a little loose just get the pliers on the end of them to tighten them up a little.

RazMan - 9/5/10 at 10:12 AM

Red crimps are really your only option and although they are a bit chunky for the job mine have been trouble free for 3 years now. They do benefit from a little tweak with pliers to make them a really snug fit.

Danozeman - 9/5/10 at 10:17 AM

MIne were on using the smallest red terminals. stayed on fine. The switch fell apart but the terminals were still on.

Steve Hignett - 9/5/10 at 10:28 AM

I've bought about a thousand or so over the last few years and there is a massive difference in quality - This is a case of get what you pay for IMO - Of course it also doesn't hurt to have them in your hand when you're buying rather than off of ebay etc...

YQUSTA - 9/5/10 at 10:29 AM

Maplin crimps

I am pretty sure these are the ones I used

Hugh_ - 9/5/10 at 11:27 AM

I got some tiny uninsulated female spade connectors at Stoneleigh last year, so have been using them.

TimC - 9/5/10 at 02:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hugh_
I got some tiny uninsulated female spade connectors at Stoneleigh last year, so have been using them.

Yep, hate insulated crimps. Almost always use uninsulated and then heatshrink as required.

andrew_s - 9/5/10 at 03:24 PM

thanks for all the replies, i will try the maplin uninsulated ones and heat shrink a bit of tubing on to be sure, sounds ideal, cheers for the help, getting there ver slowly. does anyone have a suggested switch layout for putting eveything on the tunnel, is there any specific do's and donts for sva?

bigfoot4616 - 9/5/10 at 07:08 PM

the red crimps i found the correct size where very poor quality so i got the correct size non-insulated crimps and got a soft plastic insulator for it

andrew_s - 11/5/10 at 07:56 AM

thanks for that, thats the way i will go