Board logo

ignition dead
axle - 15/7/16 at 08:12 PM

Hi all
My car is fitted with Ford sierra ignition key I went for drive last night , no problem. When I went to start the car today nothing happens when I turn the key the lights work fine so the battery is Ok . Is this the common fault with the ignition key or is this a wiring problem?

adithorp - 15/7/16 at 08:50 PM

Could be but more likely to be a starter fault. Also battery having the power for the lights to work isn't the same as the power to turn the starter.

I assume it's not cranking. First rule out the battery with jump leads from a known good battery. Is there live at the starter solenoid trigger wire when the key is in the start position? If not then it's fault in the loom or switch. If there is, then try a live direct from +ve to starter trigger terminal; If still nothing then it's starter.
If that gets you nowhere come back to us.

axle - 15/7/16 at 09:05 PM

Thanks for your input I shall follow them, however

That is right it is not cranking at all in fact anything that is wire up to ignition is not not coming on at all , it would be too much if all wiring go at he same time. which makes think the barrel gone faulty but is is this common?

britishtrident - 15/7/16 at 09:11 PM

You need to do some basic fault finding with a test lamp or multimeter not blast the car blindly with the parts shotgun.

sprintB+ - 16/7/16 at 08:30 AM

like that " blast the parts shotgun at it" will add that to my vocabulary

RoadkillUK - 17/7/16 at 02:27 AM

Have you checked the 4 pin plug from the back of the ignition switch is fully inserted? I've had that problem before.

snowy2 - 17/7/16 at 06:11 AM

its not unheard of for the multi plug ford used to connect the ignition switch to the main loom to go faulty...they will have continuity but high resistance, sometimes they will even melt the plastic.......check the condition of the connections for loose wires / poor connection.

axle - 17/7/16 at 08:10 AM

Hi all
Thanks for your feed back, after checking the circuit. The fault turned out to be in the 4 way connection as Snowy pointed out as this has happened to the others .

Thanks again