Board logo

Problems with Alternator
Schrodinger - 10/6/20 at 08:45 PM

I have been having problems with my alternator, while the engine is running the ignition light seems to go out, however, when in my garage the light very faintly glows. I realised a while back that there was an earth wire to the alternator which had come adrift. When I changed the oil in my Stylus I found a sticky 'Goo' on the oil filter just under the alternator and found this:-

Alternator
Alternator

the red area is the 'Goo' and the green area is the source, inside the green circled item is this:-

goo
goo

I assume that this is shot and needs replacing. The alternator has no markings on it and came with the car.
Any suggestions welcomed.

CosKev3 - 10/6/20 at 08:55 PM

Are some components in alternators oil filled like coils are?

obfripper - 10/6/20 at 09:08 PM

That looks like a lucas acr clone, the regulator has overheated and boiled the potting compound.

Starterman on here may know more and can supply a well priced replacement if it's not repairable. If it is an acr, the later a127 type should be a bolt on replacement with more modern internals.

Dave

gremlin1234 - 10/6/20 at 09:42 PM

as above, I hope starterman picks this up,

but to quote the paranoid android, 'this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side'

Mr Whippy - 11/6/20 at 02:39 AM

Rather gross looks like it has a bad case of earwax

nick205 - 11/6/20 at 06:46 AM

Message starterman direct on here and ask him for some advice/help. It may be something he can help refresh for you.

Schrodinger - 11/6/20 at 08:12 AM

Can somebody also tell me what terminal B is for?

Description
Description

nick205 - 11/6/20 at 08:29 AM

Not sure what "B" is for - do you have it connected to anything?

Schrodinger - 11/6/20 at 09:30 AM

No there was/is nothing connected. Just wondered what it was for.

jollygreengiant - 11/6/20 at 10:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205

30 seconds of search on Google =

Can you use B+ and B+ terminals in alternator?
But if you have both + and B+ terminals then work to the principle that + is the output and B+ is the battery sensing terminal. The B+ terminal can safely be connected to the output terminal in the alternator plug if you only have output and indicator wires in your harness.

Alternator Terminals
www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/altplug.htm

or

12 rows · Alternator Terminal Identification Chart. TERMINAL TYPICAL FUNCTION; Main Power …

TERMINAL TYPICAL FUNCTION
B+ , 30 Battery Positive
B- , 31, D-,GRD Battery Negative
E Earth - Battery Negative
F, 67 Field/Rotor

or

If there is no '+' terminal on your alternator, but there is a 'B+', then it may well be the output. But if you have both + and B+ terminals then work to the principle that + is the output and B+ is the battery sensing terminal.

just sayin

JGG

starterman - 11/6/20 at 06:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jollygreengiant
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

30 seconds of search on Google =

Can you use B+ and B+ terminals in alternator?
But if you have both + and B+ terminals then work to the principle that + is the output and B+ is the battery sensing terminal. The B+ terminal can safely be connected to the output terminal in the alternator plug if you only have output and indicator wires in your harness.

Alternator Terminals
www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/altplug.htm

or

12 rows · Alternator Terminal Identification Chart. TERMINAL TYPICAL FUNCTION; Main Power …

TERMINAL TYPICAL FUNCTION
B+ , 30 Battery Positive
B- , 31, D-,GRD Battery Negative
E Earth - Battery Negative
F, 67 Field/Rotor

or

If there is no '+' terminal on your alternator, but there is a 'B+', then it may well be the output. But if you have both + and B+ terminals then work to the principle that + is the output and B+ is the battery sensing terminal.

just sayin

JGG

All new to me. I think I need a new job. Google, the font of all things useless

Schrodinger - 18/6/20 at 07:27 AM

All fixed thanks to new alternator from Starterman.