Board logo

Ford Voltage Stabiliser
russbost - 10/10/23 at 01:08 PM

Hi Guys

Just sorting the wiring on an old kitcar (Cortina wiring loom) which has a voltage stabiliser which I suspect is inop - is there any easy way to test, IIRC they create 5V by intermittently breaking the 12V feed which makes it impossible to test with a "normal" everyday multimeter.

I've tried earthing the wire from the fuel sender unit which I would expect to send the fuel gauge to full & no reaction, but I don't actually know if either the fuel or temp gauges work either!

I can buy an adjustable, solid state voltage stabiliser for peanuts off Ebay, but would that work as it doesn't function in the same way (just seems like it would be a much more sophisticated & more reliable way to stabilise voltage)

I can buy a replacement for the original for around £15, but don't want to purchase only to find I've not cured the problem!

Re wiring, I assume I am correct that the case is earthed, 12v is fed into either terminal & the other goes to the gauge - is it imortant which terminal is fed - I can't find any info on - the Cortina manual I have just shows it as part of the instrument cluster, hence no wiring ID & doesn't mention the voltage stabiliser anywhere so far as I can see!

Grateful for any info

TIA, Russ

PAULD - 10/10/23 at 09:09 PM

I have a cortina instrument panel and loom on my locost. When the fuel gauge went haywire i bought an ebay one but on inspection the ford one had several cracks in the soldering. i resoldered it, put a 12v supply on and it read 5 volts. on reassembly it worked fine but after a while it has failed again. You might have the same problem and could well do a better job of repair.

PAULD - 10/10/23 at 09:11 PM

You can see how it is wired in my haynes manual.

russbost - 12/10/23 at 09:27 AM

Oops! Didn't realise I'd duplicated the post - please see other post, more info on there!