Board logo

Question for MX5 based owners
FFMan - 3/9/20 at 07:54 AM

Does anyone run the standard MX5 ecu without the Mazda original instrument cluster ?

Before I change the ecu, i want to swap out the instrument cluster, but i wanted to know if the ecu will throw a hissy fit if i remove it entirely and replace it with stand alone instrumentation.

Barkalarr - 3/9/20 at 08:03 AM

I do and it’s fine.

I did upgrade to an ME221 for the turbo conversion shortly after IVA in my Indy RX-5

JAG - 3/9/20 at 11:24 AM

I have a 1994 Mk1 1600cc engine in my car and I did not use the original instrument cluster.

It has been running with the original Mazda ECU and a chopped up wiring harness and working well for over 10 years

albertz - 5/9/20 at 06:26 AM

Hi JAG, I think that is the direction I’m going to end up going ie using a modified MX5 loom. I don’t suppose you have any notes, sketches etc of what you managed to cut out the Mazda loom? I’m just at the start of this process so any tips or advice would be brilliant, thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by JAG
I have a 1994 Mk1 1600cc engine in my car and I did not use the original instrument cluster.

It has been running with the original Mazda ECU and a chopped up wiring harness and working well for over 10 years