Board logo

Overseas breakdown cover???
pewe - 1/5/12 at 05:44 PM

We're off to France and Italy soon in the MX5 but I'm finding it difficult to obtain breakdown cover as it's a '92 car.
Seems like most won't cover a car over 15 years old.
I've asked the current breakdown insurers but they've declined - maybe I'll just have to wing it.
Any suggestions gratefully received.
Cheers, Pewe10
PS just in case I exceed my 3000 mile insurance policy limit I asked the current insurers to go up to 5000 just in case - an extra £90!

theconrodkid - 1/5/12 at 06:24 PM

i will watch this thread with interest,i had the same result as you

Davegtst - 1/5/12 at 06:44 PM

If you manage to get someone to quote you make sure you read the small print. With the aa's one there was a clause that if the cost of recovery home was worth more than the car they had the right to leave you there without paying out anything. I know of it happening a few times too.

Humbug - 1/5/12 at 09:36 PM

Funnily enough I've got an MX5 (1994) as well . My insurance is with Footman James and it includes European cover (though I didn't look closely at the exact terms...). Just googled and found this: this - not cheap but it is a whole year

steve m - 1/5/12 at 09:50 PM

When i did "lemans" last year in my mates XK8, think its a 92 ? we could not get any insurance to cover the car
as it was over 10 years old

To be honest, the car is maintained by Jaguar at gatwick, and has a full Jag service history,and drives like a new car
we got there and back with one fault, one of the rear lights wasnt earthed properly, so when i indicated one cluster wasnt working
no big deal,

pewe - 2/5/12 at 08:07 PM

Thanks for the replies.
I don't think I've ever had overseas cover but not having had the car long made me a bit cautious.
Just done a 300 mile round trip and I'm happier with it today than I was yesterday so think I might just wing it with a few tools and some spares.
Cheers, Pewe10

2GETHER INS - 23/5/12 at 10:19 AM

2Gether Motor Breakdown can provide cover for any age car whether in the UK or EU