Board logo

Vintage car costs
Mr Whippy - 26/3/24 at 10:09 AM

Quite amazing -

No MOT
No Roadtax
No emission zone charges

Agreed value (10k)
Full breakdown cover
5000k annual miles

65 for the year through Adrian Flux



Cheapest damn car I've ever owned!


Slimy38 - 26/3/24 at 10:16 AM

And probably more reliable than most modern cars!


Mr Whippy - 26/3/24 at 10:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
And probably more reliable than most modern cars!


Yes, certainly there is a lot less to go wrong!


nick205 - 28/3/24 at 11:27 AM

Certainly seems low cost to insure.

My MK Indy was the cheapest car to insure for me.


coyoteboy - 28/3/24 at 12:42 PM

Aye but a bike is cheaper.


Mr Whippy - 28/3/24 at 01:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Aye but a bike is cheaper.


A push bike is just fine so long as it's dry and your not in a hurry


gremlin1234 - 28/3/24 at 01:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
A push bike is just fine so long as it's dry and your not in a hurry

I thought the same is true for vintage cars


Mr Whippy - 28/3/24 at 02:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
A push bike is just fine so long as it's dry and your not in a hurry

I thought the same is true for vintage cars


Nope mine is very water tight wipers are rubbish but never a single leak. My first drive in it was taking it home from Wales to Aberdeen, 3 days of torrential rain and strong winds! Apart from being slow and noisy it was a comfortable drive


adithorp - 28/3/24 at 02:15 PM

Are you talking about classic cars or vintage?


nick205 - 28/3/24 at 02:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Are you talking about classic cars or vintage?



I suspect Mr Whippy refers to vintage cars.

I'd imagine discussion would rage amongst enthusiasts as to the age at which a car becomes classic and then vintage.

Plenty of personal opinion would join the conversation as well


Mr Whippy - 28/3/24 at 03:15 PM

I think many classic cars were well known for leaking like sieve's and BL cars from the 80's leaked even from new


Mr Whippy - 28/3/24 at 05:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Are you talking about classic cars or vintage?



I suspect Mr Whippy refers to vintage cars.

I'd imagine discussion would rage amongst enthusiasts as to the age at which a car becomes classic and then vintage.

Plenty of personal opinion would join the conversation as well


Yeah its a bit odd all this classification and very much open to interpretation, I'd have said mine was a vintage car but some call it late vintage, with cars like Model T & Y's as true vintage cars. However there was a considerable amount of cross over of models at the time with very old designs still being sold new along with the latest ones but as cheap base models. I think there was not so much a push to bring out the latest and greatest as there is today. For me classics are from the 60 & 70's, modern classics from the 80's onwards. Cars these days seem to considered out dated after just 10 years which is really wasteful.


adithorp - 28/3/24 at 07:39 PM

I thought there were official dates that cars had to meet to be either Veteran (up to 1918) or vintage (1919-1930). Those are the dates accepted by shows, competitions etc.