Board logo

TERMINAL DAMAGE
nick205 - 25/2/10 at 10:06 PM

had this for nearly 20 years and look what happened. I was only using it to tap out a brake pad from a caliper and it just gave up. Got me a new hammer today 3/4lb'er with a nice polished head and solid hickory shaft - I feel much better now

Lucky I wasn't using it in it's normal smash the hell out of it mode Rescued attachment IMG_5279.jpg
Rescued attachment IMG_5279.jpg

Big Stu - 25/2/10 at 10:27 PM

Sorry for your loss, the next couple of days will be the hardest, but things will get better. Chin up.

Irony - 25/2/10 at 10:27 PM

I feel for you mate. Sometimes its like everything in life is just against you. This happened to me just the other day............

Description
Description

FFTS - 25/2/10 at 10:31 PM

Best thing you can do is go out and get hammered. Hope you haven't been shafted on the new one as it would be such a blow you may never recover from the impact and have to knock it on the head.

balidey - 25/2/10 at 10:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by FFTS
Best thing you can do is go out and get hammered. Hope you haven't been shafted on the new one as it would be such a blow you may never recover from the impact and have to knock it on the head.

Very good, you nailed every pun there.

FFTS - 25/2/10 at 11:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by balidey
quote:
Originally posted by FFTS

Very good, you nailed every pun there.

Almost it seems... I wasn't quite on the BALL so please don't PEENalise me too much.

perksy - 25/2/10 at 11:19 PM

Bugger

Sorry for your loss

Nowt worse than loosing an old friend

twybrow - 25/2/10 at 11:36 PM

Come on chaps - this is Locostbuilders! Stop your jibber jabber and fix it! My first thought would be gaffer tape, my 2nd thought (once you hit yourself in the face with the head/tape combo) would be to make a new handle. She can live on!

miikae - 25/2/10 at 11:41 PM

Wittle and fit it back on when you are feeling better.

MakeEverything - 25/2/10 at 11:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
Come on chaps - this is Locostbuilders! Stop your jibber jabber and fix it! My first thought would be gaffer tape, my 2nd thought (once you hit yourself in the face with the head/tape combo) would be to make a new handle. She can live on!

"Its had three new heads and five new handles, but ive had the same one for twenty years...."

iank - 26/2/10 at 07:43 AM

My first thought was why not treat it to a new handle.
Though you do need a hammer to install a new handle in my experience.

Daddylonglegs - 26/2/10 at 08:17 AM

Can you weld wood?

nick205 - 26/2/10 at 08:44 AM

Thanks for the kind words chaps

She's been laid to rest in the bottom drawer of the tool box - couldn't bring myself to actually throw her out.

MikeR - 26/2/10 at 08:56 AM

piffle - get a 10mm drill down each broken bit of wood, araldite some steel in and then wrap in gaffer tape. Good for another 10 years at least.

If you want to be fancy, aradite some plastic in and claim its a specially designed composite handle with increased flexibility which reduces fatigue or something.

Problem with people today is the throw away society, why i remember when i was a lad ......

iank - 26/2/10 at 08:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
piffle - get a 10mm drill down each broken bit of wood, araldite some steel in and then wrap in gaffer tape. Good for another 10 years at least.

If you want to be fancy, aradite some plastic in and claim its a specially designed composite handle with increased flexibility which reduces fatigue or something.

Problem with people today is the throw away society, why i remember when i was a lad ......

Better, get a bit of wood and whittle your own.
http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/hammerhandle.html

daviep - 26/2/10 at 09:09 AM

Looks like it died from lack of use, I've never seen such a clean hammer.

eddie99 - 26/2/10 at 09:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow

"Its had three new heads and five new handles, but ive had the same one for twenty years...."

Only fools and horses!!!

MikeR - 26/2/10 at 09:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by iank
quote:

Problem with people today is the excessive use of resources!!!!! I mean, why get a brand new bit of wood when you could get a drill and ......

I made a temporary pick handle years ago out of a branch random branch in the garden. Still got it today - as its never been properly whittled it doesn't half blister your hands if you use it a lot + the head isn't that securely on. Luckily i never use it a lot

Dusty - 26/2/10 at 10:09 AM

Commiserations on your loss. However I'm not surprised. That head was on back to front and possibly upside down. This would have altered the forces going into the handle. Then all it needed was a stress riser like a little nick, dry rot or some woodworm and catastrophic failure was only few hits away. Accident waiting to happen IMO.

dan8400 - 26/2/10 at 10:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by daviep
Looks like it died from lack of use, I've never seen such a clean hammer.

+1

[Edited on 26/2/10 by dan8400]

FFTS - 26/2/10 at 11:49 AM

As an alternative to all the above!!

You could just get out more

nick205 - 26/2/10 at 12:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by iank
quote:

^^^ If only I had the time to spend on this. It's actually a pet plan for retirement to train myself in carpentry and joinery.

Horizenjob - 26/2/10 at 03:04 PM

I think it simply lacked triangulation. Get some more handles and attach them with gussets. It will last forever.

wilkingj - 26/2/10 at 04:27 PM

If you can buiild a car then you can stick a handle on a tool.

Go buy a new handle and fit it.

You a Locoster or What?

gazza285 - 26/2/10 at 06:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Got me a new hammer today 3/4lb'er with a nice polished head and solid hickory shaft

3/4lbs? Where did you get that, Thorntons?

What we need is bigger and better hammers.

Daddylonglegs - 26/2/10 at 07:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Horizenjob
I think it simply lacked triangulation. Get some more handles and attach them with gussets. It will last forever.

As long as it is radiused though!

Angel Acevedo - 26/2/10 at 09:14 PM

Weld a piece of 3/4" or 1" pipe....

nick205 - 26/2/10 at 11:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
If you can buiild a car then you can stick a handle on a tool.

Go buy a new handle and fit it.

You a Locoster or What?

I'm tempted to get whittling and see what I can do, but then I'll need my new hammer to fit the old head to it's new handle

Wonder how the first hammer was put together without another hammer